Azure Virtual Machine - Which license to use for private use?

KFLH 0 Reputation points
2023-01-17T15:50:30.93+00:00

Hello,

I would like to set up an Azure Virtual Machine for private usage so that I can use windows via my ipad.

When I try setting up a virtual machine, i get prompted to check the following box:

”I confirm I have an eligible Windows 10/11 license with multi-tenant hosting rights.”

I do not have any Windows license and all information I could find was either for enterprise usage or for private usage but without virtual machine.

Which license should I get?

Azure Virtual Machines
Azure Virtual Machines

An Azure service that is used to provision Windows and Linux virtual machines.

Azure Virtual Desktop
Azure Virtual Desktop

A Microsoft desktop and app virtualization service that runs on Azure. Previously known as Windows Virtual Desktop.


2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. kobulloc-MSFT 26,861 Reputation points Microsoft Employee Moderator
    2023-01-17T17:25:58.8433333+00:00

    Hello!

    What do I need to use Windows 10/11 for personal use?

    Unlike Windows Server which has the OS included in the VM cost (per vCPU), Windows 10/11 licenses must be purchased separately. @Manu Philip is correct that you could use an Enterprise E3/E5 license for deploying Windows 10/11 on Azure however if this is for personal, development, or test purposes, you can use Windows client images in Azure which may be more accessible for individual use through a Visual Studio subscription.

    There are many options for both the multitenant (professional use) and Windows client (dev/test or personal use) VMs so be sure to go through the documentation but know that you have different options depending on what your intended use is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Manu Philip 20,661 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-01-17T16:11:32.6333333+00:00

    Windows 10/11 OS licenses are not available as part of the VM price in Azure. Only Server licenses are available. If you wish to use Windows 10/11 in your virtual machine, you will need to bring your own licenses. You may go for Enterprise E3/E5 per user license for this purpose. Licensing details can be accessed from here: Windows 10/11 OS licenses


    --please don't forget to upvote and Accept as answer if the reply is helpful--

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.