Authenticator - cannot delete a specific account. Please help

Bogdan Dincescu 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T04:37:11.82+00:00

Got MS Authenticator on a Samsung phone with Android OS and I have several accounts. for a specific account, after I tap "Settings" I cannot see that "Remove account" button. For other accounts, which I do not wish to remove I do see that "Remove account" button.

So, got stuck... Any suggestions on how to remove that account without uninstalling Authenticator and having to set again the other accounts?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Hin Vo 1,280 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-08T05:58:35.5533333+00:00

Hi @Bogdan Dincescu

Based on my research, I found a related Microsoft Q&A discussion that includes guidance for Android devices, which may be helpful for reference: How to remove an old account from authenticator app - Microsoft Q&A

To remove the account completely, you may try removing it from the device settings and refreshing the app state:

Open Settings on your Samsung device.

Look for one of the following menus. The exact name may vary depending on your Android version: "Passwords, passkeys & accounts", "Accounts", "Accounts and backup", "Accounts & sync"

Look for the old work or school account and, if it is present, remove it from there.

Restart the device and then check whether the account still appears in Microsoft Authenticator.

If the account is associated with an Android Work Profile, you may also need to remove the Work Profile from the device settings.

Additionally, if the same account is still configured in Microsoft apps such as Outlook, Teams, OneDrive, or Microsoft 365, please sign out of those apps first, as they may continue to retain and re-surface the account.

If the account does not exist in Android account settings, no Work Profile is present, and the Remove account option remains unavailable in Microsoft Authenticator, I was unable to find any documented method to remove only that specific account entry. In that scenario, after ensuring your remaining Authenticator accounts are backed up or synchronized, reinstalling the Authenticator app may be the only available workaround.

I hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Bogdan Dincescu 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T04:45:32.27+00:00

    The problem is that that particular account was disabled because I no longer work for that company, sot that it looks like I'm stuck with that, for I can no longer call those security guys to enable my account...

    Wish there could be another way to solve that on my own without having to uninstall the Authenticator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.