Cancelling an MS Office 365 account

Sarah McMann 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T14:24:59.5133333+00:00

So I have 1 active account with a Microsoft Word 365 (personal) subscription. I also have a legacy account with no subscription and would like to delete that account so I can transfer its email address login to the active account as it's now my main email address. However, there seems to be no way to do this and, although, you can cancel a subscription, you cannot – so far as I can tell – cancel the account itself. There must be a workaround but just fail to see it.

I've tried contacting the support helpline but it just, frustratingly, points you to a web support page.

All suggestions welcome.

Michael

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Haytham-C 5,630 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T20:27:43.23+00:00

    Hello Sarah McMann

    Thank you for reaching out and I'm so sorry to hear about the situation, in order to close a personal Microsoft account, please see this article below and follow the prompt:

    I hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.