Trying to reset my child's email, but there is not enough information on the account for normal recovery form

Raven Vixen 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T05:14:10.7066667+00:00

So I have been attempting to reset my child's Outlook password for a while now, but the normal recovery form is not helpful. While I have all the correct information, he never sent emails (to my knowledge) so I can't add that information, nor does he have an Xbox, even though he has used the Xbox app on his laptop, so I don't have a serial number to use either. I've tried different ways to go through support and it is not helpful, so this is my last resort to get help. I would prefer not to have to make him a new account as that would mean re-buying games, which I don't have the money for. It would be more helpful if I could change/reset passwords in the Family Safety app/browser as well/

I would appreciate any help from the team!

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Vikki-T 11,450 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T09:55:41.4666667+00:00

    Hi Raven Vixen,

    I understand why you want to recover the existing account, especially when it is connected to your child’s games and the account does not have enough email or Xbox console history to complete the usual recovery questions.

    Unfortunately, being the family organizer does not provide an option to directly change or reset the password of a child’s Microsoft account through the Family Safety app or website. For account security, access must still be restored through Microsoft’s account verification process.

    Please first try the Microsoft Sign-in Helper. If it directs you back to the recovery form, complete it from a device and location previously used with the account, and provide as much information as possible. It is okay if some sections, such as Outlook contacts, email subject lines, or an Xbox console ID, do not apply. You can leave unavailable information blank and provide the strongest details you do have. You may also review Microsoft’s guidance here: Help with the Microsoft account recovery form.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Contributors cannot access account records, verify ownership, or reset the password on Microsoft’s back-end system. Microsoft Support agents are also unable to bypass the account verification process or manually send a password-reset link.

    You may also contact Microsoft Support for further clarification about the recovery options available for this situation. If you cannot sign in with the affected child account, use another accessible adult Microsoft account to contact Support.

    When the Support Assistant appears, enter: I want to talk a live chat support agent. Support cannot manually reset the password or bypass the ownership-verification process, but they may be able to provide additional guidance based on the account’s circumstances.

    Your suggestion to let family organizers reset a child’s password through the Family Safety app or website is understandable. You can share this idea with Microsoft through the Feedback Hub by pressing Windows key + F and selecting Suggest a feature. This allows the appropriate product team to review the request, although submitting feedback does not guarantee that the feature will be implemented. Please do not include any personal or account information in the report.

    I hope the information you can provide through the Sign-in Helper and recovery form will be enough to verify the account and preserve access to your child’s existing account. Thank you so much for your understanding. 


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.