Word for Mac sign-in error 4ut0z, code 105—active Microsoft 365 subscription purchased through Apple

Abby Jones 0 Reputation points
2026-10-04T21:48:48.7133333+00:00

I cannot activate Word on my Mac despite having an active personal Microsoft 365 subscription purchased through Apple. Apple shows it renews May 17, 2027, and the subscription appears in my Microsoft account. Word works on my desktop at work, and I can sign in to my Microsoft account through a browser.

Device: MacBook Air M2, 2022 Word version: 16.113.3 macOS: Recently upgraded through Software Update

Word displays “Something went wrong. [4ut0z]” before I can enter my password. The troubleshooting details say: Message: Access denied for the resource. Code: 105 Tag: 4ut0z

I have updated macOS and Word, tried the Office License Removal Tool, attempted Restore Previous Purchase, and tested signing in through my phone’s hotspot. The issue persists. Searching Keychain Access for Microsoft Office did not show any matching entries.

I briefly managed to sign in, but Word still displayed “Subscription Required to Edit and Save.” After signing out to restore the purchase, I could not sign back in.

This is a personal account, not a work, school, or Education account. What should I try next, and how can I have Microsoft verify whether my Apple subscription is correctly linked and investigate the access-denied error?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ian-T 13,200 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-05T03:39:06.8833333+00:00

    Hi @Abby Jones

    Thank you for listing everything you have already tried. Because the subscription appears active in both Apple and your Microsoft account, and the error occurs before the password screen, this no longer looks like a basic password or network issue.

    As the next isolation test, create a temporary local administrator account on the Mac, sign into that macOS account, open Word, and try activating with the same personal Microsoft account. Ssing a local account as a test when Office cannot write authentication information correctly to the current macOS profile or Keychain.

    If activation also fails in the new macOS account, contact Microsoft Support .Ask the agent to verify the association between your Apple App Store receipt and Microsoft account, and investigate the server-side sign-in failure Code 105 / Tag 4ut0z / “Access denied for the resource.”

    Provide screenshots of the error, the subscription shown under Apple ID subscriptions, and the Microsoft account Services page, but redact your email address, order number, and other personal information before posting anything publicly.

    Please note that this is a user-to-user support forum. Moderators and contributors cannot access accounts or Microsoft’s back-end systems. We can only provide technical guidance on reported incidents, requests and ideas 

    Thank you for your understanding and time

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.