How do I know if it is microsoft tech or scammer

melanie wilcher 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T15:44:06.6966667+00:00

I've been dealing with who I thought was Microsoft tech support. Now i'm wondering if it is real or a scammer

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-03T16:18:48.2533333+00:00

    Just based on the very little information you provided, I don't think anyone can tell you with confidence if you were talking to real tech support or not.

    It really depends on how you got in touch with them.

    Did you go through the Windows preinstalled Get Help app, or the Microsoft official support page https://support.microsoft.com/contactus

    If you didn't go through those established official channels, then most likely you were talking to scammer.

    Did you receive a pop up saying your computer is at risk and you should contact support - that's a well known IT support scam. The pop up itself is some website ads with fake content to create a non-existing issue, so that users would be scared enough to call the number listed, but it merely is just a pop up.

    Provide a bit more context, and what you ended up doing with this support person. Did you let them remote into your computer or install anything they asked, so that I can assess damage done and let you know what you should do next.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.