Renew individual identity validation fails

Dan 20 Reputation points
2026-10-03T12:23:11.46+00:00

I have an active public individual identity validation in Czechia. I received email 'Artifact Signing identity validation expires in 60 days' and I need to renew it.

When press 'Renew' at /Artifact Signing Account/ -> Identity validations -> Individuals -> Renew and then proceed in Microsoft Authenticator App, I see the following error:

IMG_3490

I can provide the full error log if needed.

I also can create a new renewal request, because there is another one in progress, already. But the existing one failed.

Screenshot 2026-10-03 at 14.19.25

How should I proceed in order to renew my identity validation?

Artifact Signing
Artifact Signing

A fully managed end-to-end service for digitally signing code, documents, and applications. (formerly Trusted Signing)

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-03T12:23:28.4+00:00
    1. Confirm the account has the Artifact Signing Identity Verifier role. If the role is missing, renewal actions can fail or be unavailable.
    2. Since a renewal request is already In Progress, do not create additional renewal requests for the same identity validation. Multiple in-progress requests do not help and cannot be expedited.
    3. For the Microsoft Authenticator technical failure, try the documented recovery steps in this order:
      1. Close all open instances of Microsoft Authenticator on the phone, then reopen it.
      2. Update Microsoft Authenticator to the latest iOS version.
      3. Clear the browser cache if the flow was launched from a browser, or retry with a different browser.
      4. Avoid weak Wi-Fi, VPN, or proxy connections.
      5. Try the renewal flow on a different device if possible.
    4. If the renewal flow still fails from the Renew button, and especially if the identity validation becomes Expired or renewal continues to return validation errors, create a new Identity Validation instead of renewing.
    5. If the existing in-progress renewal is stuck and blocks creating a new request, use Azure Support for Artifact Signing assistance. The guidance for identity validation issues is to contact Azure Support or Microsoft Q&A with the artifact-signing tag.
    6. If contacting support, include the Authenticator error details such as the timestamp, request ID, and correlation ID from the failure screen, plus the identity validation ID already shown in the portal.

    Important details:

    • Renewal can start 60 days before expiration.
    • Identity validation renewal must be completed in the Azure portal; it cannot be completed with Azure CLI.
    • If renewal is not completed before expiration, certificate renewal stops and signing associated with those certificate profiles stops.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.