Account login errors when using Excel on Macbook Pro

Joseph Pearce 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T23:06:36.4766667+00:00

Hello,

After years of stable operation, Excel has become unreliable.

I am using a Macbook Pro Sonoma 14. For unknown reasons I am logged out of my Microsoft365 account and cannot save Excel files. A web search shows that this is fairly common but that there are no real workarounds or fixes.

I own Microsoft365 but due to this problems I also had to subscribe to Excel in the Apple store just to get the licensing to work- I didn't even know that I had subrscribed, that's how problematic the account activation process is on my computer.

My question to the community is does anyone have a fix?

And my question to Microsoft is, can they please reimburse me this expense? I subscribe to 365 on the basis that I can work and save files offline using your programs- I have now paid twice...and I have no fix.

Thanks, J

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | Other | MacOS
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T23:47:24.67+00:00

    Hello

    With Golden Gate macOS 27 being recently released, Sonoma could have fallen outside Microsoft’s normal three-most-recent-macOS support scope. There might be a compatibility issue with the newest Office builds.

    Can you try uninstalling your Office apps.

    Then download this version: https://res.public.onecdn.static.microsoft/mro1cdnstorage/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_365_and_Office_16.112.26081010_BusinessPro_Installer.pkg

    And install it, see if it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.