Can't update or reactivate office

jess jamison 20 Reputation points
2026-09-28T18:06:01.93+00:00

Suddenly I am no longer able to use Word, Excel, ect. The notification bars say i need to activate my subscription (I double checked its active) and install the latest update. Whenever I run the update I get an error message for all the apps. Error x.o.x- I tried the steps in trouble shooting guide but the steps don't match to what I see on my Mac.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Ian-T 13,280 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-09-28T23:40:13.9666667+00:00

Hi @jess jamison

If the error is 0x0, this is a known Office for Mac licensing issue that Microsoft marked as resolved through an Office update.

Please try these Mac-specific steps:

  1. Check that the Mac is running macOS 12 or later.
  2. Close all Office apps.
  3. Open Finder > Applications > Microsoft AutoUpdate. If it is not listed, open: /Library/Application`` ``Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/
  4. Select Update All, then restart the Mac and open Word again.
  5. If Office was installed from the Mac App Store, update Word, Excel, and the other apps through App Store > Updates instead.

If activation still fails after updating, sign out of Office and sign back in using the exact Microsoft account connected to the active subscription. If necessary, run Microsoft’s Office license removal tool for Mac, restart the Mac, and activate Office again.

If the error is not 0x0, please share the complete error code, Office version and your macOS version, since the solution may be different.

Hope to hear from you soon

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.