I lost access to my account and can't find a way to get it back.

Max Rowe 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T13:01:00.55+00:00

I got a couple emails overnight saying that my email and password were changed, giving me no way to stop it from happening, and I can't find a way to get access back to my account or to get the account deleted as I don't know what other info I have on that account.

I tried contacting support, but every number I tried is just a robot voice that tells me to go online and just ends the call.

I found an account recovery link that asked for an old email and other past info for the account, so I filled it in but I've heard nothing back from it for like a week.

Do I have any options here? Why is seemingly no support options?

I ended up just creating a new account with the email just to post here, but I still want to get that other account taken down or gain access to it myself again.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Identity Manager
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-24T13:01:23.1333333+00:00

    The available options are limited to Microsoft’s account recovery and sign-in flows.

    1. Start with the Sign-in Helper. It checks the email address or phone number for the account and either gives self-help steps or routes to the next option.
    2. If the account was hacked, use the hacked-account recovery flow. Before changing or resetting the password, run a full antivirus scan on the PC:
      • Open Windows Security
      • Go to Virus and threat protection
      • Select Scan options > Full scan > Scan now This is important before any password change.
    3. If the sign-in name is no longer recognized, check for common issues first:
      • Verify the email domain carefully, such as country-specific domains like .com vs .co.uk
      • Try any other alias or phone number that may have been on the account
      • If the message says the account does not exist or “We couldn't find an account with that username,” use the Sign-in Helper
    4. If password reset or normal recovery does not work, use the Microsoft account recovery form again and improve the submission:
      • Use a working email address that can receive updates about the request
      • Complete the form on a device previously used to sign in to that account, and from a familiar location such as home or office
      • Add as much exact historical information as possible, including old passwords, contacts, email subject lines, Skype details, Xbox console hardware ID, or other Microsoft service details tied to the account
      • Microsoft states it reviews the answers and responds within 24 hours
    5. If two-step verification was enabled and none of the alternate verification methods are accessible, there is no support-assisted bypass. Support agents are not allowed to send password reset links or change account details.
    6. For support contact, the supported path is Contact Microsoft Support through the public support flow. Support can provide technical guidance, but account recovery itself remains an automated verification process and agents are not allowed to reset the account manually.

    If the recovery form has had no response for a week, the practical next step is to retry through the Sign-in Helper and then submit the account recovery form again with more exact historical details and from a recognized device/location. If the account remains unrecoverable through those official flows, the context does not provide any separate manual account-deletion path for a locked-out user.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.