I keep getting popups about viruses

Natasha TRELOAR 25 Reputation points
2025-12-24T12:39:59.4433333+00:00

I clicked on a website on chrome that I didn't know (stupid, I know, lesson well learned) and now I keep getting popups in the corner of my screen about viruses. I'm currently running a full scan with windows protection and have run three quick scans, but the popups won't stop appearing and are saying there are seven viruses detected, like a trojan virus and other stuff. I genuinely don't know what to do or if it's real.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

Answer accepted by question author
_AW_ 69,816 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2025-12-24T12:45:09.95+00:00

They're likely push notifications that you've inadvertently allowed for a specific site, that abuses the notification system to deliver scam messages.

You can refer to the guide below to either turn of all notifications or turn off the notification for a specific site -

https://www.howtogeek.com/725208/how-to-turn-off-pop-up-notifications-in-google-chrome/

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2025-12-24T12:40:07.1333333+00:00

    It sounds like you may be experiencing unwanted software or potentially a scam. Here are some steps you can take to address the issue:

    1. Complete the Full Scan: Make sure that your full scan with Windows Defender is completed. This will help identify and remove any detected threats.
    2. Uninstall Suspicious Applications: If you have installed any applications recently that you do not recognize or that were suggested by the popups, uninstall them. You can do this by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features and removing any suspicious software.
    3. Check Browser Extensions: Review your browser extensions and remove any that you do not recognize or that seem suspicious.
    4. Reset Browser Settings: Consider resetting your browser settings to remove any unwanted changes made by potential malware. In Chrome, you can do this by going to Settings > Advanced > Reset and clean up.
    5. Monitor for Anomalous Activity: Keep an eye on your accounts for any unusual sign-in activity and change your passwords if necessary.
    6. Use Microsoft Edge: When browsing in the future, consider using Microsoft Edge, which has built-in protections against malicious websites and unwanted software.
    7. Report Unsafe Sites: If you encounter any websites that seem suspicious, you can report them to Microsoft.

    If the popups persist after taking these steps, you may want to consider seeking additional help or using a dedicated malware removal tool.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.