When I send emails in GMail via new Outlook on my new Microsoft laptop, it shows two letters instead of my full name.

Gabriele 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T12:26:45.59+00:00

How can I get my full name back when sending emails via new Outlook? If I send emails via the gmail app on the same laptop, my full name shows. The same applies to emails sent via Outlook on my Iphone. I have done all the display name etc changes and installed and uninstalled Gmail but without success. I tried to uninstall the Outlook app to reinstall it but it appears to be stored on the Cloud and when I reload it, all old settings immediately return. Any other ideas? My Gmails look very unprofessional with two letters only and I bought this laptop to avoid typing via my mobile phone.

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chloe-V 13,800 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T01:45:38.46+00:00

    Hi @Gabriele

    I understand your frustration, and I apologize that the previous suggestions did not resolve the issue.

    Since your full name appears correctly when sending from Gmail and Outlook on your iPhone, but only two letters appear when sending from New Outlook for Windows, the behavior appears to be specific to New Outlook.

    The option to edit the sender display name is not available in New Outlook for Windows. As a workaround, please use Classic Outlook and go to:

    File > Account Settings > Account Settings > select the Gmail account > Change > update the “Your name” field > Next > Close.

    Then send a test email from Classic Outlook to check whether the full name appears correctly. You may need to continue using Classic Outlook for this Gmail account until the option is available in New Outlook.

    You can also report this behavior through Help > Feedback in New Outlook. I understand this is not the ideal solution, but I do not want to ask you to repeat the steps you have already tried.

    Please feel free to let me know if you have any further updates, thanks.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes". If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.