Strange display name associated with my email address

Richard Hunt 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T13:07:48.5+00:00

As the title states - cut-n-paste from another submission that Microsoft offered up. It seems this question has been asked before but when I click on the link I get taken to the home page for for Microsoft Q&A instead of the actual answer, which is really stupid. Okay the whole thing is stupid. I originally tried the Microsoft help option and asked a question - only 80 characters allowed! - and that got nowhere other than to state "Ask for Outlook.com for help", so I clicked on that link and the help options there were pathetic.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Richard Hunt 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T12:15:00.1433333+00:00

    This might be a double answer because I already filled out a comment, not sure how this system works. I have already checked all the settings and everything is correct. I also checked my contacts and the bogus name does not appear in the list. I have never heard of the bogus name, "TERI Julius", but it is what shows up when I send an email to myself; not sure what shows up when I send an email to someone else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Emma1-N 13,430 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T00:49:57.13+00:00

    Welcome Richard Hunt,

    I understand how frustrating this has been, especially after being redirected several times without finding an answer that addresses the actual issue.

    Could you clarify where you are seeing the strange display name? For example, does it appear next to your email address when you send a message, on your Microsoft account profile, or only when another person receives an email from you?

    In the meantime, if this is a personal Outlook.com account, please check the display name saved to your Microsoft account:

    • Sign in to your Microsoft account and open your profile information.
    • Check whether the displayed name is correct.
    • If it is incorrect, select “Edit name”, enter the correct name, and select “Save”.

    Microsoft notes that this display name is used when you send emails and that a change may take up to 24 hours to appear everywhere. How to change your Microsoft account name or address

    Looking forward to your update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.