Password login not available

Yanita Mircheva 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T09:08:37.5633333+00:00

I have a short and hopefully a simple question.
Recently, I haven't been able to log into outlook with a password.
I have received the following error:
"Cannot login with a password at the moment."

I am able to login with an SMS code, or via a device push notification at this point.
Is this expected behavior after a recent password change?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. GsN5034 - IA 78,175 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T09:54:15.5333333+00:00

    Hello,

    Could you please check whether you encounter the same error when signing in to Outlook.com with your Microsoft account in a private browsing window?

    1. Open an InPrivate window in Microsoft Edge or an Incognito window in Google Chrome. (CTRL + SHIFT + N)
    2. Go to https://outlook.live.com/ and sign in using your Microsoft account and new password.
    3. Check whether your new password is accepted.

    If the new password works in a private browsing window, cached data or previously stored cookies may be interfering with the sign-in process. Clearing your browser's cache and cookies for all time may resolve the issue.

    Let me know if you still need more help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.