Forgot password and cannot change/reset password due to 2fa authentication

Jorn Coppen 5 Reputation points
2025-08-23T12:30:36.2866667+00:00

Hi,

So I have a problem. On my pc I am still logged in to my e-mail account, but my password manager has overwritten my real password and I cannot remember what it is. The obvious thing is to reset the password, but this is where I am stuck in a loop.

I also recently got a new phone and still need to setup the authenticator app, but here I am stuck in the same loop.

When I try to login it asks for the authenticator app: doesn't work

I then use an alternative e-mail (gmail) and I get a code and that works, but then because I have enabled 2FA, it asks me for ANOTHER way to sign in. So I use my phone number, but this doesn't work! It says 'this is not working at this time, try another way', but I am out of options to use. And everytime I get to this point, my account gets locked out for a day because 'I have requested too many codes'.

Trying to setup the authenticator runs into the same problems.

Is there any way to help me set the authenticator up or help me change my password that actually works?

With kind regards,

JC

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

5 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Neil Barretto 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T08:54:05.05+00:00

    I'm late to this but I just found out a workaround to resetting your password. I had the same issue but what I did was download & open the authenticator app and then click on the forgot password link there. Somehow the text message functionality works when you enter your mobile number. From there, you could follow the steps to setup your new password. Let me know if it works for you.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Jorn Coppen 5 Reputation points
    2025-08-25T12:29:29.54+00:00

    No, it takes you to a form to fill out to reset password, but it doesn't work when you have 2fa activated. I get an e-mail reply saying it won't work since I have 2fa activated.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Jorn Coppen 5 Reputation points
    2025-08-25T12:21:25.5633333+00:00

    Part of a browser and I don't use multiple browsers, for some reason my current browser's password manager has overwritten my password with a password to a specific document from work I've accessed.

    The weird thing is that yesterday I changed the password to another account of mine and the text message did come through. So it's not because of the carrier. There must be something wrong with this account why it doesn't allow verification.

    No, when I use password reset and I select phone number, it shows my current phone number (I have to give last 4 digits). There is no option to select a different phone number anywhere. All I get are 'authenticator app', 'e-mail' and 'phone number', and I need 2 to work because of 2fa. Authenticator doesn't work, I can't set it up, e-mail works (I get a code), but phone number doesn't work and that's why I can't change it. Honestly, it's very frustrating. If only the verification by phone would work, my problem would be fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Jorn Coppen 5 Reputation points
    2025-08-23T13:22:42.21+00:00

    Hi Virginia,

    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my password manager has not saved the correct password, which is really strange. I've tried every password combination I've ever used but to no avail. My account is over 18 years old, I set up the 2fa a long long time ago and I've switched devices in between and moved multiple times, there's no way I have my backup code printed out. Is there really no other way to regain access to my account or be able to reset my password? Is there any reason why 2fa via text message is not working? Like I said, I am still logged in on my pc, but I'm afraid that when that expires I'm totally locked out.

    Was this answer helpful?


  5. Virginia M 42,240 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-08-23T13:12:35.5533333+00:00

    Hello, I’m Virginia a fellow Windows user.

    I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing problems.

    Alas there’s no option to circumvent 2fa so you’re only option is to see if the original password is saved under the browser’s password manager, if this is what you’re using & you have another device then go offline & check to see if the original password is still showing on the phone/other device.

    If not then you’ll need to use one of the backup codes shown during 2fa set up which should’ve been manually saved/printed out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.