URGENT Receiving Microsoft purchase and subscription emails for another account

Claire 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T19:01:34.38+00:00

Hi, I’m receiving genuine Microsoft/Xbox purchase and subscription emails for purchases that I have not made.

I have checked my own Microsoft account and:

  • The purchases do not appear in my Order History.
  • The subscriptions do not appear under Services & subscriptions.
  • I have checked my payment methods and cannot find these transactions on my account.

Microsoft Support Assistant has suggested that my email address may be associated with a different Microsoft account, but the support process keeps sending me back to the same automated help pages.

I believe my email address may have been added to another person’s Microsoft/Xbox account in the past. I do not want access to that account or any of its information. I simply want my email address removed from any other account where it may be registered, so I stop receiving their receipts and subscription notifications.

How can I get Microsoft to investigate this and remove my email address from the other account?

I would prefer to speak to a Microsoft support representative if possible.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | Other | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Hshkhar 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T23:19:26.64+00:00

    Hi Clarire,

    I can completely understand why you're frustrated. Receiving purchase receipts and subscription notifications for an account you don't own is unsettling, and I'm sorry the automated support process has been sending you in circles.

    What you're describing is a fairly common scenario. Your email address was likely added to someone else's Microsoft account at some point, perhaps as a recovery email, an alias, or a notification address. When that person makes purchases or renews subscriptions, Microsoft sends confirmation emails to all the contact points on the account, which is why you're receiving them even though nothing shows up in your Microsoft account.

    The critical thing to understand is, Microsoft's security model is designed to prevent anyone from modifying an account they don't own. And unfortunately support agents cannot manually remove your email address from another person's account, even if you can prove the email belongs to you. This is a deliberate safeguard and without it anyone could potentially disrupt someone else's account by removing their contact information. I know that's frustrating to hear, but it's important context for what comes next.

    And before escalating to a support representative, I suggest you a couple of workarounds that's worth trying:

    1. Use the "Forgot Password" trick to identify the account. Go to account.live.com in an incognito or private browser window. Enter your email address as the username and click "Forgot password." If your email is indeed associated with another account, Microsoft will send a verification code to your email. This doesn't give you access to the account, but it can confirm that the association exists and sometimes surfaces the account name or a masked identifier.

    2. Check for an "Unsubscribe" link. At the bottom of the purchase emails you're receiving, there may be an unsubscribe option. If it's present, clicking it could remove your email from that specific notification list. This won't necessarily fix the root cause, but it may stop the emails in the short term.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.