I think I have a shadow email attached to my email that I cant get rid of!!!

Kari Lynn Spanarella 0 Reputation points
2026-10-02T20:23:25.38+00:00

I have an email linked to my account that I did not create. I have tried to unlink it, but it does not show up in my account. How do I remove this email that somehow has attached itself to my account? I've followed all the recommended steps to unlink accounts. Unfortunately, this email is like a shadow account - when others email me, it shows their emails as rejected by this random email that is not mine.

#outlook/wed/outlook.com/accountmanagement/security/privacy #unauthorizedshadowemail

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-02T20:23:39.0533333+00:00

    This usually means one of two things is still configured on the account:

    1. An unexpected alias is attached to the Microsoft account.
    2. Outlook.com is forwarding or redirecting mail through a rule or forwarding setting.

    Since the address does not appear in the normal account view and messages are bouncing back from that unknown address, check both areas:

    1. In Outlook.com, open Settings and review:
      • Mail > Rules
      • Forwarding
      • IMAP Delete anything unfamiliar.
    2. In the Microsoft account settings, review aliases and sign-in settings:
      • Go to Your info > Sign-in preferences.
      • Check every alias listed.
      • If an alias is unfamiliar, remove it if available.
      • Also verify which aliases are allowed to sign in and save the changes.
    3. Review security info:
      • In the account security area, make sure all verification methods and contact info belong to the account owner.
    4. Secure the account immediately:
      • Change the password.
      • Enable two-step verification.
      • Remove any unrecognized devices.
      • Use Sign out everywhere if available. One documented case notes this can take up to 24 hours to take effect.
    5. If the unknown address still does not appear anywhere in aliases, rules, forwarding, or security info, use Microsoft account support paths:

    Important: support agents cannot change account details directly or send password reset links, so the key self-service checks are aliases, sign-in preferences, rules, forwarding, and security info.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.