Phone number locked in verification spam loop — Requesting Moderator Escalation

Zee Rawalpindi 0 Reputation points
2026-10-02T15:02:41.2766667+00:00

I am from Rawalpindi, Pakistan.  For the past month I have been receiving unsolicited sms on my phone from Microsoft.  These are 6 digit codes and the message is like;" use verification code 790845 for Microsoft authentication."  After receiving these messages I researched online how to secure my account from these hacking attacks.  I have two Microsoft accounts, I changed password for both and have linked both to Microsoft Authenticator App.  Still I continue to receive these unsolicited verification sms from Microsoft, both through regular sms and Whatsapp texts.

 

I have tried to look up which accounts are linked to my phone number as I may have another account or an old skype address that I don't remember, but Microsoft Account Recovery Portal does not let me do so.  Upon entering my phone number it always gives error "Verify another way.  This method is not working right now"

 

I also tried calling Microsoft support number listed for Pakistan that reroutes through Singapore, but the automated system does not forward my call to an agent.

 

Other than the two Microsoft accounts that I have, I want every other account to be blocked permanently and my phone number unlinked.  Please help.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 269.8K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-02T15:36:29.4+00:00

    If someone knows your email address, even if they don't know your password, they can go to Microsoft website to use the "forgot password" option to trigger a 2FA ask. Doesn't mean your account is compromised, it is just that they are trying to reset your password, but if you don't approve the 2FA they will not succeed.

    I get that this can get annoying if you receive a lot of these alerts., You can do this to prevent it.

    Go to your Microsoft account online https://account.live.com> Sign in > Your info > Sign in preference. Add an alias - You have two options here:

    Create new: this will allow you to use the native domain outlook.com to create a new alias.

    Add existing: this will allow you to add a 3rd party email address, such as yahoo, gmail, as long as they are not already associated with another Microsoft account.

    Once added, make this new alias your primary alias, do NOT delete the old alias. Then at the bottom, click on "Change sign in preference". On the next page, uncheck the box for the old alias. This means, from now one, the old alias cannot be used to sign into your Microsoft account, but it can be still used to receive emails, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.