Why is Teams asking me to sign in?

Slick RCBD 116 Reputation points
2026-09-21T17:51:31.75+00:00

I just had a job interview and when the meeting ended I got a prompt to sign in, but I had another window open in the background that implied I was already signed in to Teams.

What's the deal with this?

User's image

It doesn't really matter since I quit Teams shortly afterwards, but I'm curious why I was being asked to sign in.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams for business | Sign up and Sign in | Sign in
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
EmilyS_726 30,360 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2026-09-22T03:43:13.49+00:00

I see the background you signed in as your personal account - consider that your own home.

Since this is a job interview, I imagine the meeting was hosted by a business user. This sign in is more likely to have you sign into their "business tenant", consider that like going to their office building.

I don't think you need to sign in in this case.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Aetherin 2,665 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-21T18:06:13.66+00:00

Hi @Slick RCBD,

The AI response lists valid reasons why Teams may sometimes require reauthentication. However, based on the screenshot, this does not appear to be an actual sign-in error or security challenge.

The window in front is the post-meeting feedback page. In this context, the Sign in button appears to be an optional invitation to sign in to Teams, rather than an indication that the account shown in the main Teams window has been signed out.

The interview link may have opened the meeting in a separate guest, anonymous, external, or different account context. Teams allows users to join some meetings without signing in, so the meeting window and the main Teams application do not necessarily use the same sign-in context.

For more information, please refer to:

Reauthentication due to MFA, an expired session, Conditional Access, or another organizational security policy is technically possible. However, that may be accompanied by a separate authentication prompt, an error, or restricted access. None of those is visible in the screenshot.

Therefore, the Sign in button can most likely be ignored unless Teams later displays a separate authentication request or prevents you from accessing a feature.

I hope this information provides some helpful context and gives you something to reference. Thank you for taking the time.


If the answer is helpful, please kindly click "Yes" button below. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".    

Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. AI answer

    2026-09-21T17:51:52.0566667+00:00

    That prompt can appear because Teams sometimes challenges access again and asks for re-authentication, even if another Teams window still looks signed in.

    Supported reasons include:

    • Teams may require a fresh sign-in for security reasons.
    • Access can be challenged if a required network condition is no longer met, such as needing a VPN.
    • Teams can ask for sign-in again if the organization detects sign-in risk, requires identity verification, or requires a password change.
    • If Teams cannot complete the sign-in process normally, the issue can also be related to the organization’s Microsoft 365 or Microsoft Entra configuration.

    The fact that another window appeared signed in does not rule this out. Teams uses modern authentication and single sign-on, and sign-in state can vary by app window, account context, or whether Teams is asking to re-authenticate before allowing chat, calls, or meetings again.

    If this happens again, the normal recovery steps are:

    1. Select Sign in and complete any prompts such as MFA.
    2. If no sign-in window appears, check the Teams icon in the notification area near the clock.
    3. If needed, quit and reopen Teams.
    4. If the prompt keeps returning, contact the organization’s IT admin.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.