Windows PIN Error and Unable to Access BIOS or Boot Menu. Please HELP

GodIsKing 0 Reputation points
2026-10-06T01:00:10.3633333+00:00

I’m having a Windows login and boot problem with my CyberPowerPC desktop with a GeForce graphics card, and the computer has been stuck in this state for over 3 months.

The problem started when Windows showed the message “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.” I tried clicking Sign-in to get into Windows, but it tells me that my password is incorrect. The password it is asking for is correct as far as Windows is concerned, but I no longer remember what that password is.

I also tried using two-factor authentication to see if I could verify my account another way and regain access. However, Windows does not give me an option to use another sign-in method. Instead, the available recovery options appear to be things such as using a USB/recovery method.

Because I could not log into Windows normally and could not use another available sign-in method, I started looking into Windows recovery and booting from a USB as a way to repair or recover the installation.

This is where I ran into another major problem. Powering the computer off and back on does not get me into the recovery/boot options. The computer does not show the normal manufacturer/CyberPowerPC logo during startup either. The screen can remain black, making it difficult to access the BIOS or boot menu in the first place.

I therefore started investigating BIOS/boot settings and possible ways to reset the BIOS/CMOS, because I needed a way to actually get the computer to recognize and boot from a recovery USB. I also considered that the computer may be skipping the normal startup/BIOS screen entirely.

The computer has now been in this condition for more than three months. My main goal is to regain access to Windows or repair the Windows installation without losing my files if possible.

I need help determining the correct next step. Specifically, I would like to know how I can get the PC to display

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,740 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-06T01:41:12.43+00:00

    I would not reset Windows, clear the CMOS, or reinstall Windows yet, especially since you want to preserve your files. First, please clarify the following:

    • What is the exact motherboard manufacturer and model in the CyberPowerPC? For example ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or ASRock.

    When you turn the PC on, does the monitor eventually display the Windows sign-in screen, or does it remain completely black?

    Is the monitor cable connected to the GeForce graphics card, rather than the motherboard video connector?

    From another phone or computer, can you sign in to your Microsoft account at all?

    • Do you have access to any phone number, recovery email, Microsoft Authenticator, or other verification method registered with the Microsoft account?

    If that Gmail address was used to create/sign in to a Microsoft account, your Microsoft account password is not necessarily your Gmail password. You should try Microsoft's account recovery from another working device first.

    Microsoft recommends using the Sign-in Helper when the normal password-reset methods are unavailable. If two-step verification was enabled and you no longer have access to any registered verification method, Microsoft Support cannot manually bypass the account security or provide a password-reset link.

    https://support.microsoft.com/accounts-billing/manage/microsoft-account-sign-in-helper

    Regarding the PC itself, the absence of the motherboard/CyberPowerPC logo happens before Windows loads, so that part of the problem is not caused by the Windows PIN.

    If the PC reaches Windows but you never see the firmware screen, also try another HDMI/DisplayPort connection on the graphics card or a known-good monitor/TV. I would not clear the CMOS yet. On a BitLocker-encrypted Windows 11 installation, firmware or boot-configuration changes can cause BitLocker to request its 48-digit recovery key.

    Also, Safe Mode will probably not solve the immediate problem because Safe Mode normally requires the account password rather than the Windows Hello PIN. The priority should be recovering the Microsoft account/password and determining why you cannot see the BIOS/UEFI screen.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-06T01:00:33.68+00:00

    Use this order of recovery steps to avoid unnecessary data loss:

    1. Try the built-in sign-in recovery options on the sign-in screen
      • Look for I forgot my PIN to verify the account and create a new PIN.
      • If available, look for I forgot my password to start password reset.
      • If the account is a Microsoft account, the PIN is different from the Microsoft account password.
    2. Restart the PC once before deeper recovery
      • A restart can clear temporary sign-in issues.
      • If updates are pending, use Update and restart if that option appears.
    3. Force Windows Recovery Environment and boot to Safe Mode
      • On the sign-in screen, hold Shift and select Power > Restart.
      • If that does not work, interrupt startup repeatedly until Windows enters automatic repair, then open recovery options.
      • In recovery, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
      • After restart, press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
      • Important: Safe Mode sign-in works only with a password for a Microsoft account or local account. PIN and biometric sign-in are unavailable in Safe Mode.
    4. If Safe Mode opens, use it to recover access
      • Sign in with the account password.
      • Then go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
      • Select PIN (Windows Hello) > Change PIN if the old PIN is known, or I forgot my PIN if it is not.
    5. If another account exists on the PC, try it
      • On the sign-in screen, select another account from the lower-left corner.
      • If successful, check for updates and review the existing accounts.
    6. Check network connectivity from the lock screen
      • Select Network on the lock screen and confirm the PC is online.
      • If Wi‑Fi is unstable, use Ethernet if possible. Microsoft account sign-in can fail without Internet access in some cases.
    7. If the PC still will not start normally, use WinRE recovery options
      • If the device reaches the Windows Recovery Environment, try the available recovery options there before reinstalling Windows.
      • If BitLocker is enabled, the BitLocker recovery key is required for most WinRE recovery options.
    8. For USB boot access
      • Common boot menu keys are F12, ESC, F9, F10, F8.
      • Common UEFI/BIOS setup keys are ESC, DEL, F2.
      • If a bootable USB is available and firmware access works, set the USB drive as the first boot option.
    9. If Windows becomes bootable again, isolate startup issues
      • A clean boot can help identify whether a startup app or service is causing the sign-in or startup problem by re-enabling items in groups and restarting until the cause is isolated.
    10. If account recovery is blocked because the password is no longer known
    • Use the Microsoft Sign-in helper.
    • If that does not resolve it, use Contact Microsoft Support.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.