Microsoft Office not fully functional on 2nd machine

David Burdett 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T12:06:25.62+00:00

In 2021 I purchased a licence for Office which allows me to use it on 3 separate machines. It was installed on a Mac and is working fine. I have just tried to install it and run it on a MacBook Air. It has installed ok and although I can open each app it won't save any work, instead it asks me to subscribe to Msft 365.

Word opens but I can't type anything.

I've tried logging in to my account from the MacBook but it doesn't make any difference

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

8 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T13:04:55.4833333+00:00

    I just re-read your details, if your Office version is 2019, then you will not be able to use Office on the MacBook, after an update released in July, it is no longer possible to update the security certificated on Office 2019, and Office would go into Read-only mode, they provide full details on that update on this link.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/lifecycle/officeinstall/update-m365-office-macos-ios#:~:text=Office%202021.-,If%20you%20have%20Office%202019%20for%20Mac,-Office%202019%20for

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. David Burdett 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T13:11:50.3566667+00:00

    Thanks Dave.

    Not good news then, if I want to use my laptop then I have to buy Office 2024?

    Final question please. If I did that and didn't upgrade the desktop version would the versions be compatible? In other words could I create things on one machine and work on them or present from the other?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. David Burdett 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T12:57:57.95+00:00

    I'm sure it said that when I bought it.

    I also purchased a similar licence c2015 which definitely allowed 3 users.

    Assuming I'm wrong and it is a single use licence is it possible to move the licence from the Mac to the MacBook?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T12:52:56.81+00:00

    Thank you for that information, there is no problem indicated with your MacOS version.

    The Office Home and Business licence is a standalone version of Office that can be installed on one PC or Mac at a time, where did you see that indicated it could be installed on 3 devices at the same time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T12:41:32.03+00:00

    1

    At the top left of your Macbook Air desktop, click the Apple icon and select 'About this Mac', what version of MacOS is installed on your computer?

    2

    What is the exact version of Office that you purchased that was indicated that you could install and use on 3 PC's at the same time and did you purchase that from a 3rd party retailer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.