URGENT ISSUE: Over Storage Limit in OneDrive

Krissy Feuerhake 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T12:38:50.6066667+00:00

I'm getting conflicting 'over storage' messaging in OneDrive. I've used 39.8 GB of total 5GB see link below. It says my files are at risk of deletion if I don't purchase storage and I fear I'm being hacked. The message says I'm 34.8 over my limit. See image E891080C-63B4-4C6B-ADED-89ABD4650BB2_4_5005_c.jpeg. I have know idea what is going on and worried I've been hacked.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lucus-V 13,485 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T17:34:01.5766667+00:00

    Hi Krissy Feuerhake,

    Please note that our Microsoft Q&A forum is a public platform, and we will modify your response/ question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.

    I'm sorry for the concern this situation has caused.

    To better understand where the reported 39.8 GB is coming from, could you please check the following and let us know the results?

    • When you open OneDrive storage management, does it also show approximately 39.8 GB being used there?
    • Does the OneDrive Recycle Bin contain a large amount of data?
    • Have you ever had a Microsoft 365 subscription or additional OneDrive storage that may have expired recently?
    • Do you see any unusually large folders, such as Pictures, Documents, or Desktop, that may have been backed up to OneDrive?

    The screenshot indicates that almost all of the storage usage is being attributed to OneDrive, so identifying whether OneDrive itself reports the same 39.8 GB usage will help determine whether this is simply a storage quota issue or something else.

    Please let us know what you find, and we'll be happy to continue narrowing this down with you.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Krissy Feuerhake 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-24T12:53:27.2433333+00:00

    This is the problem, I have (2) OneDrive accounts and one is over limit and the other isn't. This one isn't: [--PII REMOVED--] BUT [--PII REMOVED--] IS. It's the latter that I use OneNote and I need to gain access. I don't know how I have two OneDrive accounts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.