A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
I was facing the same issue. Downloading OneDrive directly from Microsoft, not the Mac App Store worked for me - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/reinstall-onedrive
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hi everyone,
I recently upgraded my Mac to macOS 27 (Golden Gate), and ever since the upgrade I’ve been getting an error from OneDrive that I can’t seem to resolve.
The exact error message is:
We couldn’t find your “OneDrive (2026-09-13 05:36:04 +0000)” folder in /Users/[USERNAME]/OneDrive (2026-09-13 05:36:04 +0000) Make sure this folder still exists in this location and click “Try Again,” or click “Stop Sync” to stop syncing this folder.
I can see OneDrive under my user folder at /Users/[USERNAME]/, so the OneDrive folder itself does exist. However, OneDrive seems to be looking for a folder with this strange timestamp appended to the name.
I’ve tried various tips and troubleshooting steps I’ve found online, but nothing has worked so far. I also contacted Microsoft support, but I haven’t received a response yet.
Has anyone run into this after upgrading to macOS 27 / Golden Gate? I’m especially interested in figuring out how to get OneDrive syncing again without accidentally losing or duplicating my existing files.
Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!
A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
I was facing the same issue. Downloading OneDrive directly from Microsoft, not the Mac App Store worked for me - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/reinstall-onedrive
Hi @Nik Andric
Based on the error, I don't think OneDrive is saying that your current ~/OneDrive folder is physically missing. It appears to be looking for an older sync location whose name has a timestamp appended to it:
OneDrive (2026-09-13 05:36:04 +0000)
Since this started immediately after the macOS upgrade, treat it as a potentially stale OneDrive/File Provider sync reference rather than renaming or manually recreating folders.
On current macOS versions, OneDrive uses Apple's File Provider platform. The actual OneDrive sync root is normally managed under a location such as: ~/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Personal, while the ~/OneDrive location you see in Finder may point to that managed sync location.
Before resetting anything, sign in to OneDrive on the web and confirm your important files are there. Also check the local OneDrive folder for files created or modified recently that may not have synchronized yet. Copy any such files to a temporary folder outside OneDrive. This matters because Microsoft's Files On-Demand troubleshooting guidance warns that resetting can remove local content that hasn't synchronized to the cloud.
Once you've confirmed the data is safe, use Microsoft's supported OneDrive reset procedure rather than manually deleting the timestamped folder:
This procedure resets OneDrive on macOS. A reset disconnects the existing sync configuration and causes OneDrive to rebuild it.
When OneDrive asks for the folder location during setup, don't create another timestamped OneDrive folder. Microsoft's reset guidance recommends selecting the previous OneDrive syncing location where appropriate so unchanged files don't have to be downloaded again.
Also, don't click “Stop Sync,” delete the timestamped folder, rename ~/OneDrive, or move files around yet. Until we know whether that timestamped path contains any locally unsynchronized data, doing so could make recovery more confusing.
If the reset still produces the same timestamped-folder error, next check which File Provider location macOS currently considers active. In Terminal, run:
ls -la ~ | grep OneDrive
ls -la ~/Library/CloudStorage/
Please post the output with your username/personal information removed. This should show whether ~/OneDrive points to the current File Provider location and whether the timestamped folder still exists.
Also make sure you're running the latest OneDrive client before resetting. We recommend updating OneDrive before using the Mac reset procedure.
References:
Fix OneDrive Files On-Demand issues on macOS
OneDrive Files On-Demand for Mac
Help make this community better for everyone: If this answer helped or resolved your issue, please accept it or upvote it. If not, share more details in a comment so we can continue the discussion and find the right solution. Thank you.