I am signed out of all accounts whenever Windows restarts after an update.

Matt Tyree 0 Reputation points
2025-10-30T17:33:37.5833333+00:00

I have Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.26200 Build 26200

I sign in to this PC with my Microsoft account. I sign in to no less than 4 PCs with this same account. Only this one machine has the following issue.

Whenever there is a Windows update that restarts my machine, I am signed out of all accounts, MS and third party.

It seems there is some entity on my machine that all accounts are tied to in order to "remember" my sign in state that does not persist of post-update reboot. It is insanely annoying to come to my PC to find it restarted and I know I will spend the next 15-20 minutes running through sign-ins, AGAIN.

My question is, if I have zero trouble like this on other Windows 11 Pro machines, what about this one could cause it?
I have formatted and reinstalled Windows from scratch twice. Didn't save any settings. Formatted the drive, and set it up as a new machine both times.
I feel like it has to be hardware related somehow. But where do I even start to look?
I have googled this issue extensively over the last year or so. I have tried every solution I can find with no luck whatesoever. I am at a loss as to what to try next.
Thanks for any help that is offered!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Richard Trinidad 6,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-31T19:28:45.58+00:00

    Hi Matt, you're in a right track, Misconfigured Secure Boot can interfere with credential persistence, especially if Windows can't validate trusted keys after an update.

    Now that you've switched to UEFI and Standard mode, that should help.

    If the issue persists, consider checking your TPM status and Credential Manager to ensure credentials are being retained properly.

     

    Chard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Richard Trinidad 6,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-10-30T19:39:10.1833333+00:00

    Hi Matt, Thanks for posting here in the Microsoft community, it sounds stressful especially since your other PCs don’t have this issue. Since you've already done clean installs, it might be worth checking if something like a faulty TPM, misconfigured Secure Boot, or a third-party cleanup tool is wiping your credentials on reboot. Also, try creating a new local user profile to rule out profile-specific issues.

     

    What you can try, Check Credential Manager, ensure credentials are being saved properly. Corruption here could cause sign-in data loss.

    Next, Review Group Policy or Registry Settings, look for policies that might clear credentials or user sessions on reboot.

    Also, Check TPM & Secure Boot, If the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) is malfunctioning or Secure Boot is misconfigured, it might prevent credentials from persisting.

    You can try also, create a New Local Profile, Test if the issue persists with a fresh local user account to rule out profile corruption.

    Also, Check for Third-Party Cleanup Tools, some security or privacy tools may clear saved sessions on reboot.

     

    To better understand, have you checked if Credential Manager retains your saved credentials after a reboot, or are they being wiped as well?

     

    Let me know how it goes.

    Chard

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.