Microsoft 365 admin center

John Ernster 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T07:31:53.9866667+00:00

When I try to go to the admin center for Microsoft 365, it tells me to log in with an user which has permission. I should be that user because I originally signed up. What should I do to fix this issue?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Liora 2,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-10T08:09:50.62+00:00

    Dear @John Ernster,

    I hope you’re having a good day 

     The message you're seeing usually indicates that the account you're currently signed in with does not have a Microsoft 365 administrative role assigned, even if you're able to access Microsoft 365 services normally.

    Although you mentioned that you originally signed up for the subscription, that doesn't always guarantee that the account still has the Global Administrator role today. Administrative permissions may have been changed, another administrator may have been added, or you may be signed in with a different account than the one that manages the tenant.

    I would recommend first checking whether you have other Microsoft accounts associated with your organization. For example, look through:

    • Previous Microsoft 365 subscription or billing emails.
    • Microsoft invoices or renewal notifications.
    • Welcome emails received when the tenant was first created.
    • Saved accounts in your browser or password manager.

    These often contain the administrator username or the account originally used to set up the Microsoft 365 subscription.

    If your organization has another administrator, I would also suggest contacting that person and asking them to verify whether your account still has an administrative role assigned. An existing Global Administrator can review and restore admin permissions if appropriate.

    If you believe you are the only administrator and no one in the organization can access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, please let us know. In that case, you may need to work with Microsoft Support on an administrator account recovery process.

    I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

    Thank you, and I wish you the very best.

    Warm regards,  


    If the answer is helpful, please select "Yes, accept answer". If you have any questions or new updates, please feel free to comment below. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.