How to stop Microsoft business subscription charges after leaving my employer?

Antonio Acevedo 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T23:25:06.2466667+00:00

Hello Microsoft Community,

I need assistance with a Microsoft charge made to my personal credit card in September 2026.

I previously purchased a Microsoft Copilot-related service while working for a company. I have since left that employer, and my corporate email account has been deactivated.

I am unsure whether the purchase was a one-time payment or a subscription with automatic renewal.

I contacted Microsoft Consumer Support, but the agent explained that the transaction reference appears to be associated with Microsoft business billing. I was referred to Microsoft Business Support.

However, the available business support procedures require administrator access to the organization, which I no longer have.

I also checked my personal Microsoft account and used the billing investigation tool, but the transaction does not appear.

I need help with the following:

How can a former employee investigate a Microsoft business-related charge made to their personal credit card?

Is there a private billing support channel that does not require access to the former employer's account?

How can I cancel any active recurring subscription or remove my personal payment method from that subscription?

Can Microsoft verify the payment securely without requiring access to the former corporate email account?

I recognize having made the original purchase and am not reporting an unauthorized transaction.

My only objective is to identify the charge and prevent future renewals for a service I no longer use.

Please direct me to the appropriate billing department or escalation procedure.

Thank you for your assistance.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Aetherin 3,005 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-10T00:00:28.3466667+00:00

    Hi @Antonio Acevedo,

    Thank you for explaining the situation.

    To help point you to the correct billing path, could you first confirm whether you purchased the Copilot-related service as a regular end user using your work account, or whether you were a Microsoft 365 administrator for the organization?

    If you purchased it as a regular end user, it may have been a self-service purchase linked to your former work account. Normally, the purchaser can sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center, go to Billing > Your products, apply the Self-service filter, and review or cancel the subscription.

    User's image

    Since your former work account has been deactivated, you will likely need to contact your former employer’s IT or Microsoft 365 administrator. Depending on the organization’s security policies, they may be able to temporarily restore your access so that you can cancel the subscription yourself. Alternatively, an administrator with the appropriate billing permissions may be able to select Take control of this subscription and cancel it on your behalf.

    You can refer:

    I hope the information above provides useful guidance for your situation, outlines the available options, and helps direct you to the appropriate path for resolving the billing concern and preventing future renewals.

    If you have any updates or additional questions, please feel free to let me know and I will be glad to assist further.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.