Advanced filtering and conditional formatting

Joseph Horling 5 Reputation points
2026-09-24T21:58:59.69+00:00

Hi,

I am working on a project that involves advanced filtering and conditional formatting. So far I have made two columns for conditional formatting when I apply the criteria is applied. When I do the advanced filtering both columns are highlighted. The advance filtering is working, but I only want the column or columns that I put the criteria in to be highlighted. Is there a way to do this? I appreciate your help. Joe from Michigan. Can you use this email address: <PII removed>@comcast.net thank you.

I could not add the file but did add an image

Microsoft 365 and Office | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Thomas4-N 22,380 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-27T14:40:52.1566667+00:00

    Hello Joseph Horling,

    I think the missing piece is that Advanced Filter selects the rows, but it does not tell conditional formatting which criteria columns you filled in. Giving each column its own formatting rule is a start, but each rule also needs to check whether that column’s criterion cell contains a value. Otherwise, both columns can still highlight.

    You mentioned adding an image, but I can’t see it in the thread. Could you try attaching it again? If it still doesn’t appear, could you share the cell addresses of your criteria and the formulas shown under Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules? With those, we can work out the exact rule for each column without changing your working filter.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-09-24T21:59:15.71+00:00

    Yes. Standard Excel filtering and Advanced Filter are separate from conditional formatting, so if the conditional formatting rule applies to both columns, both columns will stay highlighted after the filter is applied.

    To highlight only the column or columns tied to the criteria, set up separate conditional formatting rules and limit each rule’s Applies to range to only that specific column.

    Steps:

    1. Select the first column that should be highlighted.
    2. Go to Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules.
    3. Click New Rule or select an existing rule and use Edit Rule.
    4. If needed, use Use a formula to determine which cells to format.
    5. Make sure the rule’s Applies to range includes only that one column, not both columns.
    6. Repeat for the second column with its own rule and its own Applies to range.

    If the filter criteria are complex across multiple fields, use Data > Advanced and define a separate criteria range for the fields being filtered. Advanced Filter supports criteria across multiple fields, but it does not control which cells are highlighted; the highlighting is controlled by the conditional formatting rule scope.

    If the current rule was created over both columns at once, Excel will keep formatting both columns whenever that rule evaluates as true. Editing the rule scope is the key fix.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.