I Want to Change My Primary Email Address for Microsoft 365

Ernestina Boadi 0 Reputation points
2026-10-11T11:35:53.0066667+00:00

I want to change my primary email address for Microsoft 365 to my backup email address, but I am unable to do so.

It says "that user already exists" but I know that because it is me.


Moderator moved from Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 354K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-11T13:00:03.4266667+00:00

    You can add an alias to your Microsoft account, but that alias can't be an existing outlook.com e-mail. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/accounts-billing/manage/how-to-add-an-email-address-or-phone-number-to-your-microsoft-account .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.