Copilot M365 – Projects and Project Chats Missing / Sync Error

Dylassaria 5 Reputation points
2026-08-25T16:58:00.7633333+00:00

I’m having a serious syncing issue with the new/updated Microsoft Copilot M365 experience that Microsoft is currently rolling out.

Since the transition to the new version, my Chats are not syncing correctly from the previous version of Copilot. My original Projects and all of the chats associated with those Projects now appear to have been moved under Notebooks, but the contents of those Notebooks are largely missing.

I also continuously receive the following error at the top of the Copilot screen:

“Sync Error: Chats have failed to Sync. Please restart or refresh to continue resyncing.” (or whatever, see attached image) File Sync Error_Screenshot

I have already tried the suggested troubleshooting steps. I have refreshed Copilot, restarted Edge, and restarted my computer, but the sync error continues.

There is also a strange inconsistency between the old and new versions of Copilot:

I can still access the older Copilot app through my keyboard shortcut.

However, when I attempt to use it, I am told that the version is outdated and that I need to switch to the newer version.

When I switch to the new version, I encounter the syncing problem described above.

In other words, the older version can still show me some of my missing Projects, but it will no longer allow me to use Copilot because it is considered outdated.

My unfiled/“loose” chats are still completely accessible, and I can also access my previously created images. The problem appears to be specifically affecting my Projects and the chats contained within them.

I can see many of my Projects/Notebooks by name in the new Copilot interface, but when I open them, the contents are missing. In some cases, only one or two chats are displayed when there should be many more. In other cases, a Project/Notebook that I can still see and access in the older version does not appear to exist at all in the new version.

These Projects contain a substantial amount of important work, so I am very concerned that the chats have either failed to migrate/sync or that they are temporarily inaccessible through the new interface.

Could you please investigate this as a synchronization/migration issue and confirm whether my missing Project chats are still safely stored on Microsoft's servers? I would especially like to know whether there is a way to force the Projects and their associated chats to resync with the new Copilot interface without losing any of the existing data.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Edit: I will provide additional screenshots, error messages, account information, or other diagnostic information if needed/should I encounter them.

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | App
0 comments No comments

4 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. gigiprf 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T18:25:29.96+00:00

    I am having the same issue, and have lost the organizational structure of my projects. If I search the project name I can find the individual chats, displayed under folder name which is the Project that contained them. But Projects no longer exists on Web via MacBook or iOS, or on the iOS app. This is the second time this has happened within the last year, so I have been making backups of important chat outcomes, but the chats contain my thinking processes and maps, and it's very frustrating to know the system is unreliable and my folders could be lost any time Microsoft decides to do an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Paola Villanueva 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-24T22:35:50.4333333+00:00

    Estoy con el mismo problema, se habia solicionado consolidadose todo en un perfil y hoy nuevamente con problemas, tras migrar de una suscripción Microsoft 365 básica a Microsoft 365 Family, Copilot comenzó a mostrar dos experiencias distintas asociadas al mismo correo. Una contiene Cuadernos y otra contiene Proyectos creados desde febrero de 2026. El contenido no está eliminado, ya que en distintos momentos ha reaparecido. Necesito que se revise una posible incidencia de identidad, sincronización o migración de datos de Copilot asociada a mi cuenta.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Dylassaria 5 Reputation points
    2026-08-30T02:01:21.5666667+00:00

    UPDATE:

    Copilot has finally synced as of tonight. All my projects and chats have officially crossed over 😊😌 However, the chat interface of the updated remains very clunky and is still noticeably NOT of the same quality as the former version. Hopefully this changes soon given I believe the new version is still getting updated.

    BUT I have noticed a solid work around which is to use Copilot to edit my word documents in word itself. That actually seems to work WAAAAYY better and I'm actually really happy about this discovery. Love this feature!!

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Lucus-V 13,480 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-08-26T20:48:22.4133333+00:00

    Hi Dylassaria,

    I completely understand your concern, especially given the amount of important work that was stored in those Projects. I know how frustrating and unsettling it can be to see content appear incomplete or missing after a platform transition.

    Unfortunately, this appears to be related to backend synchronization and data migration processes within the Copilot service itself. As community moderators, we do not have access to customer data, internal synchronization systems, or the engineering tools required to investigate, verify, or restore Project and chat data on the service side.

    I genuinely wish there was more that we could do directly from the community support side, as I can appreciate how important this information is to you. However, issues involving backend sync, migrations, and service-side data availability are outside the scope of our visibility and authority, which limits the assistance we can provide.

    At this point, I would recommend giving the service some additional time and trying again over the next day or so. If this is related to an ongoing synchronization or migration process, the missing content may reappear once the backend systems complete their work.

    If you would like additional information or further assistance beyond what we can provide here, I would encourage you to contact Microsoft Support directly, as they are better positioned to review service-related concerns and advise on available support options.

    Thank you for your patience and understanding. I sincerely hope your Projects and chats become available again soon, and I am sorry that we are unable to provide a more definitive answer given the limitations of the support resources available to us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.