Temporary Email Replaces My Alternative Email

GokceJR 0 Reputation points
2026-10-11T21:05:46.58+00:00

Hello,

I used a temporary email to change some settings on my account. I think it changed my alternative email to the temporary email, but I want to cancel it now. The problem is that Microsoft is trying to send a code to my Gmail account, which is my alternative email, that I might've accidentally deleted. I don't know what happened to my Gmail, but I switched my Microsoft email to Protonmail before losing my Gmail. But for some reason, Microsoft still tries using my Gmail account, which I don't have access to.

I want to cancel this change I made, but I don't know how. Could you guys help me out?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | Other | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 272.3K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-11T21:42:14.75+00:00

    Looks like you only changed the alias, not the security information prior to this. You should have gone to https://account.live.com > Security > Manage how I sign in to update there as well.

    I don't think you can do that now as it wants the code sent to Gmail. If your password is correct, look for an option like “Show more verification methods” to see if you have a backup (e.g., a phone number or alternate email).

    If you don’t have access to any of the options listed, select “I don’t have any of these.” This will begin the recovery process. As part of that process, Microsoft will let you add new contact information — but only after a 30-day waiting period.

    This 30-day delay is intentional. It’s a security safeguard designed to protect users in case someone else tries to hijack their account by changing recovery info. The wait gives the rightful owner time to notice and stop unauthorized changes.

    Unfortunately, this policy cannot be bypassed. Microsoft explains it further here.

    https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing/-your-security-info-change-is-still-pending-or-you-can-t-access-this-site-right-now-microsoft-account-message-cbd0f64f-02d9-45d2-90c3-2375e5a72e52#:~:text=While%20we%20understand%20this%2030,phone%20number%20or%20email%20address.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-11T21:05:59.6733333+00:00

    If the password is still known and access remains available to at least one current sign-in or verification method, update the security info instead of trying to cancel blindly:

    1. Open the Advanced security options page for the Microsoft account.
    2. Select Add a new way to sign in or verify.
    3. Add a working email address or phone number that can receive codes.
    4. Enter the code sent to that new method.
    5. After it is confirmed, expand the old Gmail security info entry and select Remove.
    6. Select Remove again to confirm.

    Important points:

    • Do not change all security info at the same time. That can cause the account to be restricted for 30 days.
    • Verification codes sent by email can only be sent to the primary alias or another email added as a way to verify sign in.
    • If the Gmail address is still listed as security info, Microsoft can continue trying to send codes there even if the main email alias was changed to ProtonMail.

    If access to all security info has been lost, use the sign-in flow instead:

    1. Start signing in to the Microsoft account.
    2. At Verify your identity, select I don't have any of these.
    3. Follow the prompts to replace the security info.
    4. After replacement, there is a 30-day wait before sign-in is allowed.

    If the goal is to change account aliases, that is separate from security verification methods. Account aliases can be managed from Edit account info, where email addresses can be added or removed.

    If sign-in is blocked or account changes cannot be completed, use the guided support tool or Contact Support from Microsoft Support.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.