MS Authenticator App - Not loading accounts in new iPhone

Justin M 0 Reputation points
2026-10-11T04:20:51.81+00:00

Hello. I have a new iPhone, and after logging into the MS Authenticator app, it is not loading any of my 16 accounts that are listed in the Authenticator app on my old iPhone. I searched online for help, and none of the instructions worked. I need assistance soon, as I will need to trade in my old iPhone within 2-3 weeks.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Justin M 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-11T04:51:08.0333333+00:00

    I followed the following "AI answer"; however, I included the following steps:

    1. I turned on the iCloud Keychain on the old phone and the new phone
    2. Then I did an iCloud backup on the old phone and waited until it completed
    3. On the new phone, I uninstalled the Authenticator app
      1. Then I did an iCloud backup on the new phone and waited until it completed
      2. Then I reinstalled the Authenticator app
      3. I opened the app, and all of my accounts appeared! I had to log in, and all is well. :)

    For a new iPhone, the restore only works if the backup was created correctly on the old iPhone and restored to the same device type. For work or school accounts, restore does not fully bring back the account setup—only the account names are restored, and each account must be opened and signed in again.

    Use this checklist:

    1. Keep the old iPhone until sign-in works on the new one. Do not erase or trade it in yet.
    2. On the old iPhone, verify all backup prerequisites:
      • iCloud Drive is enabled.
        • iCloud Keychain is enabled.
          • iCloud Backup is enabled.
            • In Apple Account > iCloud > Saved to iCloud, search for Authenticator and make sure the Authenticator toggle is turned on.
              • Make sure Microsoft Authenticator is updated to version 6.8.33 or later.
                • Open Authenticator at least once on the old phone before switching.
                1. On the new iPhone, uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Authenticator.
                2. Restore using the same recovery account that was used for the backup.
    3. If the accounts appear with “Sign in to add your account”, that is expected for work or school accounts. Open each account and sign in again to complete setup.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-10-11T04:21:05.3866667+00:00

    For a new iPhone, the restore only works if the backup was created correctly on the old iPhone and restored to the same device type. For work or school accounts, restore does not fully bring back the account setup—only the account names are restored, and each account must be opened and signed in again.

    Use this checklist:

    1. Keep the old iPhone until sign-in works on the new one. Do not erase or trade it in yet.
    2. On the old iPhone, verify all backup prerequisites:
      • iCloud Drive is enabled.
      • iCloud Keychain is enabled.
      • iCloud Backup is enabled.
      • In Apple Account > iCloud > Saved to iCloud, search for Authenticator and make sure the Authenticator toggle is turned on.
      • Make sure Microsoft Authenticator is updated to version 6.8.33 or later.
      • Open Authenticator at least once on the old phone before switching.
    3. On the new iPhone, uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Authenticator.
    4. Restore using the same recovery account that was used for the backup.
    5. If the accounts appear with “Sign in to add your account”, that is expected for work or school accounts. Open each account and sign in again to complete setup.
    6. If the restore option still does not appear, confirm that:
      • backup was enabled on the old phone,
      • the same recovery account is being used,
      • the move is iPhone to iPhone. Android-to-iPhone backup restore is not supported.

    If authentication fails while re-adding accounts on the new phone, check these common causes:

    • Unlock the Authenticator app.
    • Make sure notifications are enabled.
    • Update to the latest app version.
    • Check internet connectivity; try switching between Wi‑Fi and mobile data.
    • Verify the device Date & time settings.
    • If using VPN, try disconnecting it.

    If these steps still do not restore the accounts:

    • For work or school accounts, contact the organization’s IT admin/help desk. They might need to help re-register MFA on the new phone.
    • If the old phone can still approve MFA, use it before trade-in to sign in and complete setup on the new phone.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.