Locked Out of Windows 11 Due to PIN Reset Microsoft Account 2FA Not Working

Mohanasundar 0 Reputation points
2026-10-11T03:32:16.63+00:00

User's image

Hi everyone,

I'm unable to log in to my Windows 11 PC and need help recovering access without losing my personal files.

This is my another account and the problem with account is [PII removed]@outlook.com

Here is my situation:

  1. Windows asks me to reset my PIN at the login screen, even though I know my existing PIN.
  2. When I try to reset the PIN, Microsoft asks me to verify my identity.
  3. My available verification methods are Authenticator app and SMS to my registered phone number.
  4. The Authenticator verification page displays this error: “There's a temporary problem with the service. Please try again. If you continue to get this message, try again later.”
  5. SMS verification also fails.
  6. I cannot complete Microsoft account sign-in. The account recovery form says that accounts with two-step verification enabled cannot be recovered this way.
  7. I tried Shift + Restart to access Windows Recovery, but it asks for a BitLocker recovery key. I have the Recovery Key ID but cannot find the 48-digit recovery key.

What I've tried:

  • Using my existing Windows PIN.
  • Trying to sign in through the available options.
  • Authenticator app verification.
  • SMS verification.
  • Accessing Windows Recovery.

My questions:

  • If I cannot access my Microsoft account because two-step verification is failing, what recovery options remain?
  • Is there a safe offline troubleshooting method that won't erase my files?

I want to preserve all personal files and avoid resetting or reinstalling Windows. I am not trying to bypass someone else's security; this is my own PC and account.

This is the pc i am using for work and iam Iunable to login my pc.

Any advice based on a similar experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

22021

22020

22013

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Kai-H 28,245 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-11T09:46:24.9466667+00:00

    Please note that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to hide your personal information in the description. Kindly ensure that you hide any personal or organizational information the next time you post an error or other details to protect personal data.

    Hi, Mohanasundar

    Sorry for this frustration. The recovery form cannot override two-step verification, and support cannot bypass it.

    Here are some suggestions you can try:

    On your phone, switch between Wi-Fi and mobile data before trying verification again. Avoid repeated code requests, which can trigger additional blocks.

    If you know your account password, select “I don’t have any of these” and follow the security-info replacement prompts, if offered. This involves a 30-day restriction, not immediate access. If you previously saved a Microsoft account recovery code, use it when prompted. This is separate from the BitLocker key.

    For BitLocker, check printed copies, USB drives, or another account used to set up the PC. If the PC was connected to your employer’s organization, ask IT whether they have the key. The Key ID only identifies the matching 48-digit key.

    There is no supported offline shortcut around a locked BitLocker drive. Avoid resetting or reinstalling while locating the key, since recovery without it can erase your files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.