Microsoft Copilot's new conversation title character limit of 50 characters or less is way too restrictive. Why did they do this?
The new character limit (50 characters or less) for renaming Copilot conversations is really confusing, needlessly restrictive, and often creates an impossible task of properly naming your conversations to depict and explain the actual contents and topics of said conversation.
Being expected to be able to summarise a long conversation involving multiple topic-threads and areas of knowledge with just 50 characters feels extremely limited and I simply do not understand why the character limit was set that low?
I remember that you could even use 120+ characters in the conversation titles not that long ago - so I'm genuinely really confused why the character limit was reduced this severely.
TO GIVE A SIMPLE AND CONCRETE EXAMPLE:
Let me give just one simple example of a scenario that shows why a 50-characters limit for conversation titles is way too restrictive and doesn't work:
For example, if I have a conversation thread where the overarching TOPIC is an overlook and retrospective on the historical and current changes in web design trends throughout the years that aims to gather past and present studies done to get and overview of past changes and shifts to analyse the past and possible predict future changes and shifts.
What I would have previously renamed that conversation would probably be something like "Changes in Web Design Trends Throughout The Years: Retrospect & Analysis (Studies Comparison & Possible Future Predictions)"
──
But now there is simply no way for me to rename the conversation in a way that actually explains what the conversation is about.
- ⤷ The closest I could come was (as shown in the image I attached to this question) ***"*Web Design Trend Changes: Historic Perspective & S" before the character limit cut me off – but that forces me to actively exclude important keywords that actually depicts the contents od the conversation (in this case: that it entails a comparison of actual studies and data and also the ultimate end goal of said conversation: to predict the future).
If you work with (for example) web design or some other broader subject you're specialised in, and have a multitude of conversations that all touches upon various, sprawling, and specific areas and sub-topics within the broader topic of web design - you need to be able to include more information in the name of each conversation titles to be able to tell them apart and relocate them in the list of past saved conversations.
I apologise for the long winded nature of this whole question, I just wanted to hopefully explain how something seemingly as small as a simple character limit can have a pretty big impact on some people who use Copilot for certain use cases. Thank you.