Sole Microsoft 365 Global Admin Locked Out – Authenticator Deleted – MFA Reset Required

Kaushik Ghosh 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T17:12:51.7966667+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support Team,

I am the sole Microsoft 365 Global Administrator for my small business and am currently locked out of both my business email and the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

I accidentally removed my work account from Microsoft Authenticator on my iPhone. Microsoft continues to require either an Authenticator approval or a verification code generated by that app. Neither option is now available.

I have confirmed the following:

I know my account password, but cannot complete MFA.

I have no other working authentication method.

I am the only administrator for this Microsoft 365 tenant.

I cannot access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center to reset MFA.

I have attempted to contact Microsoft telephone support but have been unable to reach a representative.

I control the business domain through Cloudflare and can provide proof of domain ownership and Microsoft 365 subscription information if needed.

I am requesting assistance from a Microsoft moderator to initiate or escalate a support case to the Microsoft Data Protection team for sole-administrator MFA recovery. I can provide my affected Microsoft 365 administrator details (email address etc) privately through a secure Microsoft support channel if required.

Please let me know how I can securely provide my tenant information and complete the required ownership verification.

Thank you for your assistance.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ryan-N 16,125 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T17:57:20.7366667+00:00

    Hi Kaushik,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    First, I hope you understand that moderators and users on this forum are unable to directly transfer or escalate your case to the Data Protection team.

    If you are unable to reach a support representative by phone, there is another option you may consider: creating a new tenant using a trial subscription and then submitting a support request from the new tenant to request assistance with resetting MFA for your account.

    To set up a new tenant, please follow the steps below:

    Visit Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing. From there, you can follow the provided instructions to create a new tenant.

    Once the new tenant has been set up, you can access its Microsoft 365 Admin Center and submit a support request asking to be connected with the Data Protection team for assistance with your previous tenant.

    Follow the setup process to create a new account for the new tenant.

    After the tenant has been created, you can access the support portal and submit a support request, providing information about the account or tenant that you are currently unable to access.

    In the support request description, clearly explain that you are trying to regain access to your previous Microsoft 365 tenant and require assistance from the Data Protection team. You can use or adjust the following sample message:

    "Hello,

    I am currently unable to access my previous Microsoft 365 tenant because I no longer have access to my multi-factor authentication (MFA) method.

    I created this new tenant solely for the purpose of requesting support. I would greatly appreciate being connected with the Data Protection team so that I can verify my identity and receive assistance in restoring access to my original tenant.

    This issue is quite urgent because I use Microsoft 365 for work and have been unable to operate for the past few days. I am willing to provide any documentation or verification information required to assist with the recovery process."

    To submit a support request, in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, go to Support > Help & Support. You can also use the following page to submit and manage your support requests:

    https://admin.microsoft.com/#/support/requests

    Please remember to cancel the trial subscription after your issue has been resolved to avoid any unexpected charges. You can refer to the following Microsoft documentation for detailed instructions:

    Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center

    I hope this helps you regain access to your account quickly. I'm glad to assist and truly hope the information provided has been useful. Please feel free to reach out anytime if you need further assistance.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.