Locked out of my pc

mike 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T10:52:52.41+00:00

When updating my bios from my computer, Windows heart reset my login pin code and I forgot for a moment what my password was I couldn’t get the Sms code because the system wasn’t working properly. I tried this multiple times after while I requested a password reset and they sent me a email through my iCloud account told me I have to wait a full month now I cannot do anything with my PC anymore. This is absolutely outrageous just because I didn’t have the password at the time and they couldn’t send me a Sms code. Is someone listening from Windows because I really need my PC to work now it’s a $7000 brick !!!

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. GsN5034 - IA 78,420 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T11:52:58.0166667+00:00

    Hello,

    If you're making major software changes to your device, such as updating the BIOS, Microsoft will ask you to reset your PIN for security reasons, which is normal.

    However, in your situation, it seems that you've forgotten the account password and are having trouble getting the SMS verification code to verify your identity.

    So, may I ask whether you previously added any other verification methods, such as a recovery email address or the Microsoft Authenticator app? If the phone number is the only option listed, please note that Microsoft is phasing out SMS verification. This may explain why you did not receive a verification code on your phone.

    For reference: Microsoft to stop sending SMS codes for personal accounts

    For security reasons, you can only use a Passkey, recovery email address, or authenticator app to verify your identity going forward.

    And, in your situation, it seems that you have removed your previous security information (Phone number) and replaced it with something new (which is your @icloud.com address). This triggered a 30-day lockout period, and Microsoft cannot expedite this 30-day waiting period.


    So, in this situation, you have two options now.

    1. Wait 30 days for your security information to be updated. After 30 days, you can use your new security information method to receive the code and sign in. This way, you will not lose any of your data.
    2. Factory reset your PC to the defaults from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) screen. This will completely wipe all the data on your HDD. You will then have to set up Windows using another Microsoft Account.

    To boot your PC into WinRE (2nd option)

    • Turn on your computer.
    • When you see your PC manufacturer's logo or Windows logo turn off your computer by holding the power button.
    • Repeat the same steps 2-3 times.
    • Next time allow your device to boot into the WinRE.

    Select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove Everything and proceed with Local Reinstallation.


    *To avoid happening this issue in future, make sure you have at least three security verification methods added to your Microsoft Account: https://account.live.com/proofs/Manage

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.