How do I gain access to my Business account?

OSKAR SJOBERG 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T07:42:28.39+00:00

Hello,

I have an email address that is both connected to a personal account and a business account.

The problem is that I cannot login into the business account. I have the password. I can reset the password. I have the authenticator app. The authenticator app works with my personal account. The prompt is for 6 digits but the authenticator displays 8. No notifications for the business account shows app in the authenticator app.

I don't really need the business account, it only makes things confusing to have two accounts to one email and things does not seem to work well with this setup. I probably want to close the business account, but I cannot do this unless I can login.

I have tried to add the business account to the authenticator app, but it ironically asks me to verify it in the authenticator app and nothing happens.

Some of Microsoft's services default to the Business account with no way of changing to the private account making it impossible for me to use them.

So how do I gain access to my business account so I can remove it?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Doris V 1,865 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T08:37:03.8366667+00:00

    Dear OSKAR SJOBERG,

    Based on your description, it sounds like the email address is associated with both a personal Microsoft account (MSA) and a business account

    If you are unable to complete the sign-in process for the business account, you will first need to regain access to that account before it can be removed.

    Since the Microsoft Authenticator app is not showing the business account and you cannot complete the MFA challenge, the next step depends on who owns the account:

    • If the business account belongs to an organization, you'll need to contact the organization's Microsoft 365/Entra ID administrator and ask them to reset your MFA methods or remove the account. You can also refer to this Microsoft support article for more information: Manage authentication methods - Microsoft Entra ID | Microsoft Learn
    • If this is your own Microsoft 365 business tenant and you are the only admin, you'll likely need to work with Microsoft Support on account recovery, as organizational accounts cannot be self-recovered when MFA verification is unavailable. You can contact Microsoft Support team via phone service number: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support

    Also, if the account was created by an organization, you cannot delete it yourself. The account must be removed by the tenant administrator. If it is a tenant that you own, you'll need to regain access first and then delete the user account or cancel the Microsoft 365 subscription associated with the tenant.

    I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any updates or additional information.


    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. OSKAR SJOBERG 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T09:51:36.74+00:00

    I am a small business owner so I am the only admin.

    I've tried the the customer support number 5 times. Unfortunately it is serviced by a less than helpful AI voice.

    The first two attempts landed me with a link to the reset password page which is not helpful.

    The third attempt connected me to silence for ten minutes until I gave up to try again.

    Now it does not want to connect me and just ends the call.

    How should I proceed?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.