Copilot keeps signing me to my personal account instead of my premium account

Najib El Otmani 20 Reputation points
2026-10-09T01:31:49.4133333+00:00

I upgraded my M365 subscription from Personal to Premium about two months ago, but when I sign to Copilot, it signs me to Personal account instead of my Premium account. The email address is the same, meaning ithe email I used to login to my Personal account before is the same the I login with to my Premim account. I've cleared the cache, cookies, paswords, etc on my MacBook to no avail. What seems to be the problem and how can I get this fixed?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Francisco Montilla 31,080 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-10-09T03:15:25.5833333+00:00

Hello Najib,

That label is completely normal. The Personal tag in the app just refers to your account type, meaning a consumer Microsoft account rather than a Work or School account through Entra ID. It doesn't reflect your subscription tier, so it will always say Personal there even with an active Microsoft 365 Premium or Copilot Pro plan attached to it.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Najib El Otmani 20 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T02:52:34.13+00:00

    Microsoft 365 Premium is listed as active. I Copilot App, when I sign in, the lable shows me signed in as Personal instead of Premium and was just wondering why. I did verify & I do have the premium benefits.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Rukshan edirisinghe 1,400 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T02:45:23.1566667+00:00

    Hi @Najib El Otmani

    One thing that trips a lot of people up: in the Copilot app, "Personal" usually describes the account type, not your plan. Copilot keeps work or school accounts (Entra) separate from personal Microsoft accounts, so your Premium subscription still sits on a "personal" account. The Premium extras, like higher usage limits, should show up inside that same personal experience.

    If you're not getting those extras, these are worth checking:

    1. Go to account.microsoft.com/services and confirm Microsoft 365 Premium is listed as active, and that the old Personal plan isn't still shown as a separate subscription.
    2. In the Copilot app on your Mac, open your profile, sign out completely, quit the app, then sign back in with the same email.
    3. If the app still acts like it has no subscription, sign in at copilot.microsoft.com in a private browser window. If the web version shows your Premium benefits, the problem is only in the Mac app.

    What exactly tells you it's on Personal: a label next to your name, or a feature that's missing?

    If this resolved your issue, please consider accepting it as the answer. If Premium features still don't show up, let me know and I'll be happy to keep helping.

    Reference:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.