Urgent: Sole Global Admin Locked Out Due to Lost MFA – Need Data Protection Team Assistance

Shawn Li 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T01:08:55.4766667+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support Team,

I am the sole Global Administrator of my Microsoft tenant.

Tenant domain: cuchz.onmicrosoft.com

After replacing and factory-resetting my previous phone, I lost all access to Microsoft Authenticator.

I have no alternative MFA methods and no other Global Administrator in the tenant.

My login fails with error AADSTS500121.

I cannot access either the Microsoft 365 Admin Center or Microsoft Entra Admin Center to submit a support ticket.

I am also unsure whether this tenant is associated with an active Microsoft 365 subscription, Azure subscription, or free Microsoft Entra ID service.

I understand that this is a Sole Global Administrator MFA Lockout / Tenant Recovery case.

Could a Microsoft moderator please assist me with initiating a support request or directing this issue to the Data Protection Team?

I can provide additional tenant information and identity verification details through a secure private channel.

Thank you.


Moved from Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jade Ng 15,860 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T03:32:58.7833333+00:00

    Dear Shawn Li,

    Unfortunately, when the only administrator is locked out and MFA verification cannot be completed, this cannot be resolved from the tenant side directly. In such cases, for security reasons, Microsoft requires an identity and ownership verification process to reset MFA for the admin account.

    In this case, please guide your customer to contact Data Protection directly.

    Option 1: Contact Microsoft Support by Phone  

    For a full list of regional numbers, you can also visit this official page: Customer service phone numbers - Microsoft Support. The support team will assist you as soon as possible. 

    If you can reach Microsoft by phone, use the official Global Customer Service phone numbers list. Choose your region > your country > if your country lines fail or lack English support, select a nearby country or the United States number, Microsoft explicitly allows this.

    To help you navigate the automated phone system (IVR), here’s an example of how the conversation might go:  

    IVR: What kind of problem are you concerned about?   
    You: Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) 
    IVR: What kind of product do you use?   
    You: Office 365 for business  
    IVR: Education or business account?   
    You: For business  
    IVR: Are you an administrator?   
    You: Yes  
    IVR: Do you have another administrator in your organization?   
    You: No  
    IVR: Do you need a service request?   
    You: Yes  
    

    This should help you get connected to a live support agent who can assist you directly.  

    Note: Sometimes, you would hear the computer-generated voice at first, please kindly wait for it to end, and if an agent is available, you would be directed to them and get your support. During peak hours, there might be high call volumes, so we kindly ask for your patience as we work to assist everyone as quickly as possible.

    Option 2: Create a temporary tenant to submit a support ticket  

    Important: Please remember to cancel the trial subscription once your issue is resolved to avoid any charges.  

    I hope these steps will help resolve your issue. If you need further assistance, I am always here to help.   

    Thank you for your patience and understanding. I appreciate your continued trust. Hope you having a nice day and really much warm regards to you as well! 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.