Same computer linked twice to microsoft account, only one with Windows licence

Alex ROUVIERE 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T21:36:18.2633333+00:00

Hey !

Recently I had to reconnect my windows account to my computer, it seems to have created a second version of my computer.

So now both version are linked to my Microsoft account, but only one has the Windows Licence.

It appears that I cannot switch from one to another, I tried to delete the one without activated Windows but it doesn't change anything and when I try to update my account informations it says "We couldn't connect, a problem appears trying to connect".

So now my computer works but it says that my Windows Licence isn't activated, I can see both version of my computer on my account and don't know how to unstuck this situation.

Could you help me ?

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Accounts, profiles, and login
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 271.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T22:11:55.4033333+00:00

    Hello,

    Having the same computer listed twice under your Microsoft account does not necessarily mean you have two separate Windows licenses. The device list and Windows activation are managed separately. Removing a device from that list will not restore activation. And I will recommend against removing them.

    Was it activated before then all in sudden it lost activation?

    If so, can you please type cmd in the search on the taskbar and hit enter to launch command prompt, then run the following command:

    slmgr /dlv
    

    Then share a screenshot please. Thanks!

    Also,

    How did you obtain your license initially?

    Did it come with the device preinstalled, or did you purchase it?

    If you purchased it, did you purchase from Microsoft, or from third party?

    Is it originally a Win7/8 key?

    Just to make sure, is the motherboard changed?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.