Blocked laptop - Changed number

Jay MIAH 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T23:12:06.3433333+00:00

Urgent situation. My laptop from 2021 completed it's windows update and went into bitlocker recovery mode.. it has all my files on there.

So now it requires I sign into my Microsoft account to obtain bitlocker ID. Unfortunately, this account is very old and linked to my old phone number to log in. I got the password right but has second authentication linked to my old phone. Do i need to use this recovery form? I've tried it twice. Rejected twice. Is there nothing I can do? My laptop and account is locked right now all because I've changed my number. Please help

<Microsoft Security | Microsoft Authenticator>

Windows for home | Other | Security and privacy
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Lychee-Ng 28,995 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T09:47:12.01+00:00

    I’m so sorry you’re stuck in this situation, Jay MIAH.

    Since I know you've probably spent time on this, I'll just be truthful and direct so you can have correct expectations moving forward. There are two separate locks here (access to your Microsoft account with BitLocker encryption on the laptop), and unfortunately, there is NO legitimate workaround that bypasses either one.

    1. Regarding the recovery form you have already submitted twice, if you were using ACSR form: it cannot work with accounts that have 2FA turned on. User's image
    2. For users who cannot log in, Microsoft explicitly guides us to use the Sign-in Helper. The login assistant can identify your account issues and, based on detected situations, offer options to contact support staff. User's image
    3. Microsoft Q&A is a user-to-user support forum. Contributors here can help giving you guidance, but we cannot restore your account. Even if you contact Microsoft Support, they're prohibited from manually changing account information or generating reset-password link.
    4. Now, if you cannot log in or don't see the key in your account after signed in, this is the most difficult part: Microsoft cannot unlock BitLocker or generate another key for you. BitLocker is a serious security feature, and if its encryption could be bypassed, it would be ineffective.

    At that point, resetting/reinstalling the PC would be the remaining way to make the laptop usable again, but the existing encrypted data would be lost. I wish there were a better option here, but there is no supported method for bypassing either of the processes above.

    I know this is not the answer you're looking for, but I don't want to give you false hope about the situation. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-07T23:12:23.16+00:00

    If two-step verification is turned on and none of the alternate verification methods are accessible, the account recovery form will not restore access. Support also cannot send a password reset link or change the account details in that case.

    What can still be done:

    1. At sign-in, check for Show more verification methods and use any backup method that is already on the account, such as another email address.
    2. If no listed method is accessible, choose I don’t have any of these. That starts the security info recovery process.
    3. If new security info is added during that process, there is a 30-day waiting period before it becomes active. That delay cannot be bypassed.
    4. After access to the Microsoft account is restored, retrieve the BitLocker recovery key from another device by signing in to the recovery key page and matching the first 8 digits of the recovery key ID shown on the locked laptop.

    Important points for this situation:

    • Microsoft Support cannot retrieve, provide, or recreate a lost BitLocker recovery key.
    • If the device was set up by someone else, the recovery key might be in that person’s Microsoft account.
    • If the key was backed up to the Microsoft account, it should be available once account access is restored.
    • If the recovery key cannot be found, there is no supported way to bypass BitLocker and unlock the drive.
    • Reinstalling or resetting Windows is destructive and can wipe files on the encrypted drive.

    For the Microsoft account itself:

    • If the account is specifically locked, sign in at https://account.microsoft.com.
    • If the normal Let’s prove you’re human option does not appear, use the aka.ms/ reinstatement link shown in the sign-in window and submit that form once. Submitting multiple requests can slow the response.

    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.