OneDrive storage unexpectedly reverted from 30 GB to 15 GB

Marco Lopes 11 Reputation points
2026-10-07T21:03:45.4466667+00:00

OneDrive storage unexpectedly reverted from 30 GB to 15 GB

Hello,

I am reporting an unexpected change to my OneDrive storage quota and would like to know whether other users have experienced the same issue.

My account had a 15 GB storage quota for many years.

On August 9, 2026, I documented that my OneDrive storage had increased from 15 GB to 30 GB. At the time, I was already investigating some OneDrive issues and noticed that Microsoft was moving towards a unified Microsoft Cloud Storage system.

I did not purchase Microsoft 365 or activate a temporary storage promotion or phone backup offer to obtain the additional storage. The 30 GB quota simply appeared on my account.

I have now discovered that the storage quota has unexpectedly reverted from 30 GB to 15 GB.

This is particularly problematic because I currently have approximately 23.8 GB of data stored in OneDrive. With the quota reduced to 15 GB, my account is therefore showing approximately 159% storage usage, and OneDrive has stopped synchronizing new files.

The sequence is therefore:

15 GB → 30 GB → 15 GB

The change from 15 GB to 30 GB was documented on August 9, 2026, and I have screenshots showing the 30 GB quota. I also have screenshots showing the current 15 GB quota and the resulting over-quota status.

I have already contacted OneDrive Support and opened a support case asking Microsoft to investigate the account's backend storage/quota information.

I would like to understand:

Why was my storage quota increased from 15 GB to 30 GB in the first place?

Why has the 30 GB quota now been removed?

Was the 30 GB quota associated with my account permanently, or was it the result of a Microsoft storage-system change?

Is there currently a problem affecting legacy OneDrive storage quotas?

Can Microsoft Support verify the historical quota assigned to my account and explain why it changed?

I am aware that Microsoft has been consolidating storage under the Microsoft Cloud Storage system. However, I am not assuming that this is necessarily the cause of my problem. I am mentioning it because the increase to 30 GB occurred during the period when these storage-system changes were taking place.

My main concern is that the quota change appears to have happened without any notification or explanation, and it has directly affected my ability to synchronize my existing OneDrive files.

I would therefore appreciate confirmation from a Microsoft moderator or anyone else who has experienced the same issue.

I have attached screenshots documenting both the 30 GB quota previously assigned to the account and the current 15 GB quota / over-quota status.

Thank you. OneDrive 2026-08-09 OneDrive 2026-08-09 OneDrive 2026-10-07

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Rukshan edirisinghe 1,235 Reputation points
    2026-10-08T03:15:57.8566667+00:00

    Hi @Marco Lopes

    Thanks for posting Support's reply. Only Microsoft can explain why the offer ran for about two months instead of one, so that part has to stay with your case. The bigger risk now is your files, because an account that stays over its limit becomes read-only, gets frozen after 3 months, and can have its OneDrive deleted after 6 months.

    Here's how I'd protect your 23.8 GB while that gets sorted:

    1. Go to onedrive.com, select your folders and choose Download, so you have a full copy on your PC or an external drive. Downloading still works while the account is read-only.
    2. Once the copy is safe and checked, move large files you don't need in the cloud (like old videos) off OneDrive until you're back under 15 GB. Empty the OneDrive Recycle bin afterwards, since it also counts toward storage.
    3. If you'd rather keep everything online, a Microsoft 365 or storage plan is the only way to raise the limit. Check the Microsoft storage section of your account dashboard for the current options.

    Would you prefer to keep all 23.8 GB in the cloud, or is local storage fine for some of it?

    If this resolved your issue, please consider accepting it as the answer. If you get stuck while moving files, let me know and I'll be happy to keep helping.

    Reference:

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.