Sole Global Administrator locked out – MFA Error 399287 / BadReputation

Kent 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T17:39:04.95+00:00

Hello,

I am the sole Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 tenant and I am completely locked out.

Password authentication succeeds, but both SMS and voice call verification fail with:

Error Code: 399287

AFAIK there are no other Global Administrators and no alternative MFA methods registered. I also have no existing authenticated admin session.

This appears to be a Phone Reputation / BadReputation block.

Please escalate this case to the Microsoft Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team so that the phone reputation block can be cleared or the MFA methods for the sole Global Administrator can be reset.

Request ID: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed] Correlation ID: [Moderator note: Personally Identifiable Information removed] Timestamp: 2026-10-07T17:27:23Z

I can provide the tenant name/domain, administrator UPN, Tenant ID, phone number and proof of ownership via private message.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Emily T 740 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-07T19:03:33.98+00:00

    Please note that forum moderators do not have access to user account settings and cannot assist with logging in, resetting passwords, or changing access rights. While we do not have access to internal systems or administrative tools required to resolve account-specific or backend-related issues, but we’ll continue doing our best to support you within the scope of our responsibilities.   


    Good day @Kent and I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you’re experiencing. 
    Unfortunately, moderators do not have access to internal Microsoft systems and cannot escalate cases directly to the Microsoft Data Protection Team (DPT), clear phone reputation blocks, or reset MFA methods for tenant administrators.

    Since you are completely locked out of the tenant and there are no alternative administrator accounts available, the most appropriate course of action is to contact Microsoft Support directly and request assistance with tenant recovery. If standard support channels are unable to assist, they can advise on the process for engaging the appropriate recovery team based on your tenant's circumstances.

    User's image

    During the phone call, you will need to provide the information associated with your subscription, such as your company name, billing details, phone number, and an alternate email address, etc. This information allows the Data Protection team to verify your identity and securely assist you in regaining access to your administrator account.      

    In some regions, the initial interaction may be automated, so here’s a general idea of how the conversation might go to help you prepare:   

    (When you call the support number, you may hear an introduction of about 30 seconds such as "you can visit the link...". You can ignore this introduction and wait until you are presented with the options. Then press "1" as a business email user, and again "1" for technical help.)     

    IVR: What kind of problem are you concerned about?             

    You: Authenticator.             

    IVR: What kind of product do you use?             

    You: Office 365 for business.             

    IVR confirmation: education or company account?             

    You: For companies             

    IVR: Are you an administrator?             

    You: Yes.             

    IVR: Do you have another administrator in your organization?             

    You: No.             

    IVR: Do you need a... Service request?      

    You: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Team.  
     

    • Another option is to create a temporary or trial Microsoft 365 tenant and use that account to open a support request on behalf of the affected tenant.

    If you cannot reach a live agent, there is still a workaround, you might consider registering for a new tenant by signing up for a trial subscription.      

    To set up a new tenant, please follow these steps:   

    • Visit Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing | Microsoft 365. 
    • Follow the guided setup process to create a new account for a new tenant.      
    • Once your tenant is created, you should be able to access the support portal and submit your ticket referencing your locked account without further issues.      
    • In your ticket description, you'll need to clearly explain that you're trying to regain access to your previous Microsoft 365 tenant and need help from the Data Protection team. Here's a message you can use or adapt:      

    "Hello, I’m the only admin in my tenant and currently unable to access my previous Microsoft 365 tenant due to losing MFA access.      

    I created this new tenant solely to request assistance. I kindly ask to be connected with the Data Protection team to verify my identity and help me recover access to the original tenant.      

    This is urgent, as I rely on Microsoft 365 for my work and have been unable to operate for several days. I’m available to provide any documentation or verification needed to support the recovery process."    

    Please remember to cancel the trial subscription after your issue is resolved, as this will help you avoid any accidental billing. You may prefer the following resource for detailed instructions: Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center | Microsoft Learn    

    I truly hope this helps you regain access to your account quickly. Even though I can't directly intervene, directing you to the correct and specialized support is the most effective help I can provide from my position.       

    Thank you for your kindness and contributions to the forum.    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.