Copilot app stopped geneting PDF files

Sebastian Barrett 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T09:05:03.81+00:00

Hey

I used to been able to get copilot to generate an PDF from chat in the copilot app (didn't have word open, or uploaded an empty file), and i did that last on Monday 4 of May 2026. But now i tried to get it to generate another PDF i could print out, but it keeps refusing, saying it is not possible without first uploading an empty word or open copilot in word. Is there anybody else experiencing this, and would there maybe be someone that could explain this situation?

I currently have the Microsoft 365 Personal subscription

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | App
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Clary-N 16,660 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-08T01:12:42.3033333+00:00

    Hi Sebastian Barrett,

    I can understand why this is confusing, especially since the app was able to create a PDF directly from your chat on May 4 without asking you to open Word or upload a blank document.

    Could you share the exact message you now receive and let me know whether you’re using the app on Windows, Android or iOS? It would also help to know whether the same thing happens in a new chat when you ask it to create a simple one-page PDF.

    For now, try checking for an app update, then sign out and back in. You could also test the web version using the same account to see if it behaves differently. If you see an option to move the response to a Page, open it and look for Create > PDF in the upper-right corner.

    If the problem continues in both the app and web version, I suggest sending feedback through the app with the exact message, app version and a screenshot with any personal information hidden. Since this is a community forum, I can help with troubleshooting and possible workarounds, but I can’t check the account or service status directly.

    If you can share those details, I’ll be happy to take another look and see what else I can suggest.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.