My Windows explorer on the Windows 10 OS has been lagging and getting stuck when selecting multiple files.

Jesse Babineau 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T04:08:44.6766667+00:00

My Windows explorer on the Windows 10 OS has been lagging and glitching when selecting multiple files by dragging a select box in the explorer window. Whenever I drag the select box above or below the window, it scrolls endlessly, even after I release my button on the mouse pad. The only way to stop this endless scrolling is by clicking a different application outside of explorer. This keeps happening at a later time when the system is on, and it does not fix itself after restarting. Rebooting a fresh install of Windows 10 did nothing also. The only method I know that removes this error is doing a system restore, but I'm at a point where I can't even do that anymore without undoing the last system restore. This makes selecting files very annoying due to sluggish response. CPU usage on Windows Explorer and DCOM Server Process Launcher are mysteriously rising whenever the scrolling gets stuck and reverts to 0 the moment I escape the scrolling error.

What keeps causing this problem on my system? And how do I revert it?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jesse Babineau 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T13:08:50.3333333+00:00

    I found out the culprit behind the explorer lag. And for this, I state, "SHAME ON YOU, MICROSOFT!"

    The lag is caused AFTER I turn off Microsoft Copilot. I do NOT want Copilot being run on my Windows 10 system. I deplore that program. So how dare that thing be a mandatory requirement for my OS to function. I need an answer as to why Copilot is doing this and how I can keep it disabled without it corrupting my Windows Explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Ivan B 125.1K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-07T04:42:33.29+00:00

    Hi,

    Have you tried performing a clean installation, and does the problem persist?

    Search for msinfo32.exe in the search bar, take a screenshot, and post it here so we can see the correct laptop model or desktop configuration.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. AI answer

    2026-10-07T04:09:03.4766667+00:00

    A likely cause is corrupted Windows or File Explorer components rather than the mouse itself, especially since the issue persists after restarting and even after reinstall attempts, and because Explorer activity spikes only while the scrolling is stuck.

    Try these steps in order:

    1. Restart Windows Explorer
      • Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
      • On the Processes tab, find Windows Explorer.
      • Right-click it and select Restart.
      • This can temporarily clear stuck Explorer behavior.
    2. Clear File Explorer recent-item cache
      • Press Windows key + R.
      • Run: shell:recent\AutomaticDestinations
      • Delete the contents of that folder.
      • Run: shell:recent\CustomDestinations
      • Delete the contents of that folder.
      • Restart the PC.
      • This removes Quick Access shortcuts, but not the actual files.
    3. Run Automatic Repair
      • Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security.
      • Select Recovery.
      • Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
      • On Choose an option, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair.
      • Choose the account and enter the password.
      • The PC may restart during repair.
      • This is intended to fix registry corruption.
    4. Perform an in-place repair upgrade
      • If the problem keeps returning, use a repair in-place upgrade while keeping files and apps.
      • Before starting, unplug unnecessary external peripherals and temporarily disable third-party antivirus software to avoid interference.
      • In the setup flow, choose Upgrade this PC now.
      • When prompted, choose Keep personal files and apps.
      • This replaces corrupted Windows files without removing apps and personal data.

    What keeps causing it, based on the available guidance:

    • Persistent Explorer lag, stuck behavior, and repeated return of the issue are consistent with corrupted system files, registry corruption, or damaged Explorer-related components.
    • Since changing input devices and restarting do not permanently resolve it, the problem is less likely to be the mouse hardware and more likely to be Windows shell corruption.

    If File Explorer still does not behave more reliably after Automatic Repair, send feedback through Feedback Hub so the issue can be investigated.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.