Outlook For Mobile Not Sending Notifications - Auto Opening?

Brookelyn J 0 Reputation points
2026-10-05T18:02:12.7333333+00:00

In the past couple months I got a Google Pixel 10 so I'm not sure if this is the issue (though I've had Pixels in the past that have been fine) and ever since I've had it, Outlook has stopped sending me 90% of my email notifications and instead automatically reads/opens the emails without me even opening the app. I don't look at any previews of the emails and I don't get the notifications to accidentally click on them. I also don't leave my outlook open anywhere else that another device could be reading them.

I have two Google accounts and a Microsoft account in this Outlook Mobile app and it only sends me about 20-40% of my Microsoft emails, 5% of one Google accounts emails and 0 of the other's.

I've tried searching online for solutions but no one seems to have the same problem. Any advice? I'm missing out on important emails and at this rate I'm tempted to just go back to Gmail or something.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for Android | For home

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Chloe-V 13,710 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-06T02:59:03.0033333+00:00

    Hi @Brookelyn J

    I’m sorry the previous suggestions did not help. Since the same behavior affects both your Microsoft and Google accounts, could you run one quick isolation test?

    Temporarily remove one Google account from Outlook, keep it signed in only through the Gmail app or Gmail website, and send a test message to it. Please check whether the message is still automatically marked as read. This will help determine whether the read status is being changed by Outlook or by the Google account synchronization.

    If the message remains unread outside Outlook, please share your Android version and Outlook app version.

    Please feel free to let me know if you have any further updates, thanks.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes". If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".   

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-05T18:02:33.2833333+00:00

    On Outlook for Android, the most likely checks are notification scope, Android background restrictions, and account-level Do Not Disturb settings.

    1. In Outlook, open Settings > Notifications.
      • Turn on Allow notifications.
      • For From, select All email instead of Focused Inbox Only or Favourite People.
      • Since multiple accounts are configured, verify notification settings for each account if those options appear separately.
    2. Check whether Android is restricting Outlook in the background.
      • Close and relaunch Outlook.
      • If a notification about restricted background usage appears, tap VIEW > View Settings.
      • Go to Manage Battery Usage.
      • Find Outlook, then open Battery Usage or Use Details.
      • If Background Restriction or Allow Background Activity is restricted, disable that restriction.
      • This is important because Android background limits can stop alerts from arriving reliably.
    3. If the device has battery or power-saving features enabled, turn them off for Outlook.
      • Outlook for Android can be affected when background activity is limited.
    4. Check Outlook Mobile Do Not Disturb for the affected accounts.
      • Open the left navigation bar and tap Settings.
      • Tap Notification/Alerts & Notifications.
      • Scroll to each affected account and tap Do Not Disturb.
      • Make sure the settings are correct, then tap the back arrow to save.
    5. If notifications are only arriving for some messages, confirm the app is not set to notify only for Focused Inbox.
      • By default, notifications only appear for new messages in Focused Inbox.
      • Changing this to All email is the key setting when messages from some accounts seem to be skipped.
    6. If the problem continues, reset or re-add the affected accounts in Outlook Mobile.
      • Settings > tap the affected account > Reset Account
      • If needed: Settings > tap the affected account > Delete Account > Delete From This Device
      • Then add the account again.
    7. If Outlook still behaves incorrectly after these checks, use in-app support:
      • Settings > Help & Feedback > Contact Support

    The “emails automatically read/open” behavior is not directly documented in the available guidance, but the supported fixes above address the documented causes of missing Outlook Android notifications and account-specific notification issues.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.