Unable to update address

Kristen Evenson 0 Reputation points
2026-10-01T15:32:09.93+00:00

I repeatedly get this error message: User's image

I have deleted and re-entered the information. I've tried entering it when I pay and from the address book. I've deleted the credit card and re-entered it. I've tried credit card and paypals. I'm entering the address exactly as my bank/credit card have it. It is the same address the post office uses. I've removed all symbols. There isn't anything such as "township" in the city name. I've tried entering information from an incognito site. I just want to pay you to keep microsoft. It should not be this hard.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Diana Mariz 11,025 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-01T17:51:35.39+00:00

    Hi Kristen,

    To further check on this, can you try to remove 442 in Address Line 2 which may be confusing the address validator if that's meant to be part of the street address. If issue persist, I highly suggest to connect with live Microsoft Support as they are in the best position to further investigate on this given that you've already tried multiple cards, PayPal, incognito mode, and re-entering the address exactly as your bank has it, then the most likely cause is a problem with the billing system's address validation rather than your address.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. AI answer

    2026-10-01T15:32:25.9133333+00:00

    For this Microsoft account billing-address issue, the most relevant fixes are:

    1. Check the Microsoft account profile locale first. Go to https://account.live.com > Your info and make sure language is set and correct. Also verify country/region is correct. A missing or invalid language/region can block billing address updates.
    2. Re-enter the billing address in the account profile using the exact bank/card format. If the address is long, use Address line 2 instead of shortening it. Do not abbreviate or alter the address if the bank has it stored a specific way.
    3. If entering a card again, make sure the payment details match exactly. The name, address, and CVV must match exactly what is on file with the card issuer.
    4. If PayPal also fails, verify the PayPal funding source. PayPal must have a linked credit card or confirmed bank account, and the linked funding source must be valid and not expired.
    5. If the card is still declined or the address still fails validation, contact the bank/card issuer. Banks sometimes block the transaction because of fraud-prevention checks or require identity verification before the payment method can be saved.
    6. If the profile language/region is already correct and the issue continues, contact Microsoft support. A documented case showed billing address updates failing until the Microsoft account profile had a valid locale set.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.