surface laptop for business 7 keeps intermittently shutting down and restarting

Gogo Anderson 20 Reputation points
2026-09-30T20:23:35.2733333+00:00

I purchased my laptop on 1-30-26. Late in the spring it began intermittently shutting down and then restarting. I held off reaching out to warranty repair hoping that updates would solve the problem. It is getting worse. In addition, by 4 year warranty that I purchased does not show up on my account. I need help.

PO#4154577761

Surface | Surface Laptop | Performance and maintenance
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
S.Sengupta 32,666 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2026-10-01T06:05:41.4633333+00:00

Since you purchased the laptop on January 30, 2026, and the random shutdown/restart problem started a few months later and is now getting worse, I would not wait for another update to fix it.

I recommend contacting Microsoft Support and requesting a warranty service/repair. Also, mention that your 4-year warranty is not showing on your Microsoft account.

Keep your original purchase invoice and warranty confirmation ready. Provide the PO number: 4154577761, along with the device serial number, and ask Microsoft to verify and update the warranty coverage.

Back up all important files.

Install any pending Surface/Windows updates.

Run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit if the laptop remains usable.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.