Microsoft Office not fully functional on 2nd machine

David Burdett 0 Reputation points
2026-09-30T12:06:25.62+00:00

In 2021 I purchased a licence for Office which allows me to use it on 3 separate machines. It was installed on a Mac and is working fine. I have just tried to install it and run it on a MacBook Air. It has installed ok and although I can open each app it won't save any work, instead it asks me to subscribe to Msft 365.

Word opens but I can't type anything.

I've tried logging in to my account from the MacBook but it doesn't make any difference

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | MacOS
0 comments No comments

8 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T13:20:09.8866667+00:00

    Glad to help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. David Burdett 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T13:17:18.1566667+00:00

    Got it.

    Thanks for all your help Dave

    David

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T13:15:35.7933333+00:00

    Yes, that is correct, you would need to purchase a new Office licence for the MacBook, and do not update Office 2019 on the Mac, because if you do, it would go into Read Only mode after that update they released in July.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. David Burdett 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-30T13:11:50.3566667+00:00

    Thanks Dave.

    Not good news then, if I want to use my laptop then I have to buy Office 2024?

    Final question please. If I did that and didn't upgrade the desktop version would the versions be compatible? In other words could I create things on one machine and work on them or present from the other?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. DaveM121 937K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-30T13:04:55.4833333+00:00

    I just re-read your details, if your Office version is 2019, then you will not be able to use Office on the MacBook, after an update released in July, it is no longer possible to update the security certificated on Office 2019, and Office would go into Read-only mode, they provide full details on that update on this link.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/lifecycle/officeinstall/update-m365-office-macos-ios#:~:text=Office%202021.-,If%20you%20have%20Office%202019%20for%20Mac,-Office%202019%20for

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.