DefaultUser0 on Setup

PicklrGal 0 Reputation points
2026-09-29T15:28:14.0933333+00:00

I have noticed this SAME CONCERN AND PROBLEM in the forums since 2020!!! I just purchased a new Surface Snapdragon Laptop and now I cannot get past the "Login with your Work or School" screen. I am NOT a work or school person! It's a HOME computer.

So I did all the things to get to the "defaultuser0" screen which requires a password, and of course, I don't have one. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed with MS - especially seeing that this is now a 6 year old problem! I have Shift+F10 into the defaultuser0 section multiple times, turned off WiFi and reinstalled Windows. BRAND NEW Surface! WHY is this still an issue?

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. S.Sengupta 32,666 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-09-30T00:27:45.5966667+00:00

    defaultuser0: it's a temporary account Windows uses during first-time setup, and it never has a password. If you land on its login screen, setup has crashed or looped, so there's nothing to "unlock". You need to get setup to complete properly, and that's why the Shift+F10 attempts and reinstalls kept dropping you back there.

    For a consumer Surface Laptop with Snapdragon, Microsoft says the machine normally ships with Windows 11 Home. The commercial version ships with Windows 11 Pro.

    Since this is a brand-new consumer Surface Laptop with Snapdragon, and you have already tried reinstalling Windows, disconnected Wi-Fi, and using Shift+F10, I would stop trying to work around the defaultuser0 password.

    I'd treat this as an OOBE/setup problem rather than a problem with your Microsoft account.

    If this is genuinely a brand-new consumer Surface, I would also check whether the device was previously enrolled in an organization/Autopilot environment. A reset/reinstallation does not necessarily remove an organization's registration from Microsoft's cloud. Microsoft specifically describes organizational enrollment/join during OOBE.

    Therefore, before doing another reinstall, I would ask Microsoft to check the device's enrollment/Autopilot status using the Surface serial number.

    Since the laptop is brand new, Surface Support is also free to contact and can often fix this quickly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.