WORD STILL NOT WORKING ON IPAD PRO RUNNING IPADIOS VERSION 27.0.1

James Oelschlager 10 Reputation points
2026-09-29T11:58:23.04+00:00

I have tried work around suggested by Microsoft including deleting and updating the Word app, creating new signing credentials for WORD, putting IPAD in AIRPLANE MODE and it still freezes.

Are their other Microsoft options, or do I need to reset the entire Apple iPad Pro ? Or should I be reaching out to Apple for help versus Microsoft ?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | iOS
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Zahid Barrera Ramirez 400 Reputation points
    2026-09-29T12:31:51.74+00:00

    Hi @James Oelschlager

    I would not factory-reset the iPad yet.

    There are multiple recent reports of Word for iPad freezing after recent app/iPadOS updates, including cases where users have already:

    • reinstalled Word
    • reset the app
    • signed out/in
    • tested different documents
    • tried Airplane Mode
    • restarted the iPad

    and the freezing still returns.

    Because of that, this is starting to look more like a Word/iPadOS compatibility or application issue than a problem specific to your individual iPad.

    Before involving Apple or erasing the device, I would check a few things:

    1. Confirm the exact Word version/build under:

    Settings → General → iPad Storage → Word

    1. Test whether the issue happens only in Word or also in Excel/PowerPoint.
    2. If you use a Magic Keyboard, Bluetooth keyboard, or third-party keyboard, temporarily disconnect/remove it and test using only the on-screen keyboard. There are recent reports where Word hangs while processing keyboard input on iPad.
    3. Make sure both iPadOS and Word are fully updated.

    Since you are already on iPadOS 27.0.1 and have completed the usual reinstall/reset troubleshooting, I would report this to Microsoft as a possible Word for iPad regression before performing a factory reset.

    If Word is the only application freezing, I would start with Microsoft rather than Apple.

    If the entire iPad is freezing, restarting unexpectedly, or other apps show the same behavior, then Apple Support would become more relevant.

    For now, I would avoid a full device reset unless Microsoft or Apple specifically requests it as part of an escalation.

    If possible, please post the Word version/build number and whether you use an external keyboard. That will help compare your case with the other recent reports.

    If this answer was helpful, please consider marking it as helpful or accepting it as the answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. EmilyS726 270.7K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-29T12:36:55.02+00:00

    I've seen a few other reports from other users too, so I don't think this is unique to your iPad. I don't see any official acknowledgment from Microsoft yet as of now.

    I don't recommend resetting your iPad as it is a moot point if this is a Word-on-iPad issue due to recent update.

    There will be a new version of Word coming out today. Go to App Store > Word > verify Version 2.114.2. See if that helps.

    If it still freezes, use Word for the web in Safari as the temporary workaround.

    Make sure you send feedback in Word, and be specific about the issue, to help engineer team gather data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.